Subject: CCL: Call for paper for the Fall ACS symposium on "Chemical Information and Open Access"

From: "Suresh Singh" <ssingh %a% vitaerx.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:05:49 -0400

Dear Colleagues,
 
We invite you to submit papers for the symposium on "Chemical Information
and Open Access." This symposium will take place as part of the CINF section
at the 230th American Chemical Society National Meeting, August 28-September
1 in Washington, DC.
 
We are organizing a symposium to discuss chemical information and open
access. We all know scientific literature from broad areas of chemistry and
biology represents a rich source of knowledge for the scientists in the
medical sciences field.  Journal abstracts, full-text scientific articles,
and chemical patents are readily available in electronic form and accessible
through a variety of mechanisms.   Scientists needing to identify efficient
reactions, new and/or novel lead compounds, compounds for SAR analyses,
understand in vivo behavior of molecules, will use the prior art to
facilitate their efforts.  The volume of electronic information has been
rapidly increasing and will continue to do so; therefore computational
techniques for automatically identifying and extracting chemical names,
chemical and biological properties, and chemical reactions from scientific
documents will become ever more essential. 
 
In the biological sciences field a large body work has been carried out by a
broad array of computational techniques to mine biological data both in the
academia and in the industry. This has largely been possible due to the
availability of open access to the data.  Such open access to chemical
information, were it to ever happen, would greatly increase the level of
research activity in the chemical sciences field and lead to greater benefit
to the medicinal sciences community at large.
 
Given the scope of the topic, the idea of the symposium is to bring
scientists together from diverse backgrounds to discuss novel techniques and
resources developed to address the issues outlined above. This session is
sponsored by:
 
The Chemical Information Division (CINF) and the Division of Medicinal
Chemistry (MEDI).
 
All are invited to participate and submit abstracts for this session.
Please use the OASYS to submit your abstract. You can access the CINF
symposia at OASYS via
http://oasys.acs.org/acs/230nm/cinf/papers/index.cgi. 
 
The deadline for submitting abstracts is May 03, 2005.  

Symposium organizers:
 
Suresh B. Singh           &          Richard Hull
Vitae Pharmaceuticals               Axontologic, Inc.
502 West Office Center Drive      12565 Research Parkway, Suite 300
Fort Washington, PA 19034        Orlando, FL 32826
V:215-461-2048                         V:407-737-7772
F:215-461-2006                          F:407-737-2512
ssingh %a% vitaerx.com                   hull %a% axontologic.com