Subject: Call for Papers: Special Issue on Applications of Geometric Modeling in the Life Sciences.

From: "Jennifer Miller" <jmiller :: idiom.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:06:13 -0400

Computer Aided Geometric Design
http://authors.elsevier.com/journal/cagd

Call for Papers

Special Issue on Applications of Geometric Modeling in the Life Sciences.

Guest Editors: Hans J. Wolters (Celera Genomics) and Bernd Hamann (UC Davis)

CAGD is the premier journal for publications related to geometric design and 
modeling. Geometric Modeling comprises all methods that are based on 
concepts from applied geometry as well as computational geometry with 
emphasis on methods that use three-dimensional techniques.
In order to expand the application domains of geometric modeling, CAGD is 
seeking original papers for a special issue on Applications of Geometric 
Modeling in the Life Sciences. The goal is to bridge the gap between 
geometric modeling and applications in the life sciences.
For example, we are interested in novel geometric modeling approaches in 
areas like brain modeling, computational biology, and computational 
chemistry. Further, three-dimensional modeling techniques as applied to 
developing new descriptors and representations for macromolecules (proteins) 
as well as small molecules are of interest. Papers may also address 
computational drug discovery, where shape is a major consideration together 
with chemical features.

In summary, the papers submitted should address novel geometric modeling 
approaches in the following, or closely related, areas:

- Computational drug discovery
- Protein structure modeling and folding
- Molecular surfaces and its descriptors
- Modeling of brain structure and other organs
- Computational and mathematical biology and bioinformatics

Important Dates:
Submission Deadline: July 1st, 2005
Notification: August 15th, 2005
Revised Manuscript Submission:  September 15th, 2005
Revised Manuscript Notification: October 15th, 2005
Final Version Due: November 1st, 2005

Electronic Submission:
Papers should be submitted electronically via the new submission system of 
Computer-Aided Geometric Design, which will be available around May 15th at 
http://ees.elsevier.com/cagd/. This page is currently still under 
construction. Please do not submit your paper as long as this site is still 
under construction. Detailed formatting instructions are available at 
http://authors.elsevier.com/journal/cagd. All submissions will be reviewed 
in accordance with the usual standards of CAGD, hence all dates but the 
submission deadline are tentative.

Hans J. Wolters 
Bernd Hamann
Celera Genomics 
Department of Computer Science
180 Kimball Way 
University of California, Davis
South San Francisco, CA 94080                                   One Shields 
Avenue
USA 
USA
hans.wolters :: celera.com 
hamann :: cs.ucdavis.edu