Subject: Reflections about the list

From: Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra #%# gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:25:58 -0400

Dear All,

I just have a questio that I would appreciate to hear your opinions.

I participate in other mailing lists, and what is common there is
that, whenever you reply to a message, your reply automatically goes
to the list, not to the personal e-mail of the original poster. The
exceptions would be when he or she have defined a "reply to" address,
in which case it also goes to that  address. But, it **always** goes
to the list as well.

Here in CCL this doesn't happen, unless you are careful enough to
select "reply all" instead of simply "reply". As a consequence, my
mailbox gets filled with questions, and just a few answers.

My personal opinion is in favor of the common way of the other lists,
and the reason is that I have learned **a lot** from the answers to
question posted by other people as well as to my questions. Sometimes
I just like to follow a thread, even if I don't know any answer to it,
and end up knowing more than before. That just doesn't happen
naturally with CCL, unless it's a thread that people are being careful
to send the reply to all (we do see this in some general interest
issues), if we ask the poster for a summary or if he voluntarily posts
a summary. Otherwise, only he learns from the answers.

Would anybody know why the CCL behavior is different? Is there anybody
else here who feels he could learn more by following other threads as
well?

Thanks,

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gustavo Seabra                                    Postdoctoral Associate
Quantum Theory Project                             University of Florida
Registered Linux user number 381680
Say NO! to software patents: http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed...
                              ...skydiving is not for you.