Subject: CCL: Re: Reflections about the list

From: Michel Petitjean <ptitjean=at=itodys.jussieu.fr>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:20:52 +0200 (MEST)

To: CCL <CHEMISTRY=at=ccl.net>
Subj: CCL: Re: Reflections about the list

Personally, I never use the automatic reply, even for a single
sender. I read emails with the unix mail command, save the message,
edit it and most time delete parts of it to shorten the size of
my reply, then send the reply with the command mail.
Note that this procedure avoids any action of viruses,
even if the viruses are runnable on my unix host. Furthermore,
the virus cannot be propagated. Finally, I can read and send
messages via any Xterm emulator, without using graphical
functionalities.
Webmail users may have a different opinion.
For the CCL, replying to the whole list is a good idea: I learn
more from replies than from questions.

/* I do not like software patents */

Michel Petitjean                      Email: petitjean=at=itodys.jussieu.fr
entropy=at=mdpi.org                             ptitjean=at=ccr.jussieu.fr
Editor-in-Chief of Entropy            http://www.mdpi.org/entropy
FIS2005 coordinator                   http://www.mdpi.org/fis2005
ITODYS (CNRS, UMR 7086)
1 rue Guy de la Brosse                Phone: +33 (0)1 44 27 48 57
75005 Paris, France.                  FAX  : +33 (0)1 44 27 68 14
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html
......................................................................
> From owner-chemistry=at=ccl.net Wed Jun  8 23:56:48 2005
Message-ID: <f79359b60506081425ebc00a4=at=mail.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:25:58 -0400
From: Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra=at=gmail.com>
X-Reply-To: 
Subject: CCL:Reflections about the list

Dear All,

I just have a questio that I would appreciate to hear your opinions.

I participate in other mailing lists, and what is common there is
that, whenever you reply to a message, your reply automatically goes
to the list, not to the personal e-mail of the original poster. The
exceptions would be when he or she have defined a "reply to" address,
in which case it also goes to that  address. But, it **always** goes
to the list as well.

Here in CCL this doesn't happen, unless you are careful enough to
select "reply all" instead of simply "reply". As a consequence, my
mailbox gets filled with questions, and just a few answers.

My personal opinion is in favor of the common way of the other lists,
and the reason is that I have learned **a lot** from the answers to
question posted by other people as well as to my questions. Sometimes
I just like to follow a thread, even if I don't know any answer to it,
and end up knowing more than before. That just doesn't happen
naturally with CCL, unless it's a thread that people are being careful
to send the reply to all (we do see this in some general interest
issues), if we ask the poster for a summary or if he voluntarily posts
a summary. Otherwise, only he learns from the answers.

Would anybody know why the CCL behavior is different? Is there anybody
else here who feels he could learn more by following other threads as
well?

Thanks,

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gustavo Seabra                                    Postdoctoral Associate
Quantum Theory Project                             University of Florida
Registered Linux user number 381680
Say NO! to software patents: http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------