Subject: CCL: How big a shared memory segment, how many semaphores?

From: Dr Seth OLSEN <s.olsen1 _+_ uq.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:49:06 +1000

Hi CCLers,

I'm trying to sqeeze the most performance out of a big SMP enclosure and
I was wondering if anybody had any advice about what the max. shared
memory segment size should be.  I've heard some advice that I should
just set it to equal the entire memory complement of the enclosure
(30GB), but I've also heard smaller numbers.  I make a lot of use of
MolPro, but I also run other Quantum. Chem. software as well, and I
imagine the concerns are common to many QC calculations.  Does anybody
have advice or can you point me in the direction of somewhere to find out?

Cheers,

Seth

ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms

Dr Seth Olsen, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow, Computational Systems Biology Group
Centre for Computational Molecular Science
Chemistry Building,
The University of Queensland
Qld 4072, Brisbane, Australia

tel (617) 33653732
fax (617) 33654623
email: s.olsen1 _+_ uq.edu.au
Web: www.ccms.uq.edu.au 

ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms