Subject: Re: Poly-Ala

From: [email-masked] (Peter S. Shenkin)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 91 20:09:31 EDT

Gee, a real SCIENCE discussion on this list!  I love it!

Shaun D. Black          | Bitnet: [email-masked] writes:
> It is my recollection that poly-Ala is only sparingly soluble in water,
> but enough can be gotten into solution to do a CD spectrum and see that it
> is alpha helical.  Poly-Gly will probably be more soluble in water, but
> only because it likely unfolds and hydrogen bonds with the solvent.  My
> bet is for "random coil" in water.  It's not clear to me what the entropic
> considerations would be, net....

In aqueous solution entropic changes in the solvent are important.  I'm almost
sure poly-ALA is helical in CCl4.  If poly-GLY is a random coil in that 
solvent, my guess is that its greater chain entropy (greater allowed region in 
the Ramachandran plot is responsible).  I admit that this is a supposition on 
top of a supposition, so maybe someone out there who knows can comment.

>                           ....More discussion on this would be interesting.

Always glad to add my $.02    :-)

	-P.
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb*************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY 10027
(212)854-1418    [email-masked]   [email-masked]
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."**