Subject: BITNET mail follows

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Oct 92 15:06 LCL

REFERENCES ON POLARISABILITIES
  Here are some references to uses of dipole polarisabilities. There
 are many more which predate the recent interest in NLO properties.
    1. QUALITATIVE IDEAS. The term polarisability was used for many
 years by physical organic chemists to describe the tendency of a molecul
 e to distort on the approach of a reagent particularly a proton.I sugges
t the paper POLARIZATION AND POLARIZABILITY IN CHEMISTRY by R.J.W.
LE FEVRE REV. PURE and APP. CHEM.vol 20 pages 67-79 (1970) for a good des
cription and refs to earlier work.It includes erf to the KERR effect and
 electric birefringence measurements and a discussion of the stereo
stuctural app of anisotropic polarizabilities. SEE other reviews by this
author.
   2 PKas. It is possible that Doug. Smith was referring to a paper by
POPLE on the inductive effect of alkyl groups in amines.(pubno 139 in the
pople pub list given in INT J QUANT CHEM VOL 37 p355. The Methyl INDUCTIV
E EFFECT ON ACID BASE STRENGTHS TETRAHEDRON LETTERS 34 p2959 1970.At
that time there was a discussion obout what happens when we replace
a H by a CH3 group and it was usually thought the effect on many
properties was due to the grater polarisability of the C-N compared
to the N-H bond since MULL pop indicated the CH3 group attracted electron
s rel to HYD.!
  3.POL (CNDO/2) have been correlated with the Hansch hydrophobic
parameter D.V. Lewis J.of COMP CHEM 10,145-151(1989)
  4.POL and collision induced Infra red Absorption Chem. Phys LETT
 26 474(1974) W.PERSON et al.
  5.for many other app see refs 4-24 in a paper by APPLEQUIST FUND
 relationships in the theory of electrical Multipole Moments and Multipol
e Polarizabilities in Static Fielsd. CHEMICAL PHYSICS VOL 85 279-290       d
  6.BIRGE(J.CHEM. PHYS vol 79 2256(1983) lists a number of phenomena
which require a knowledge of the polarizability tensor.
  7.HANNACHI AND ANGYAN. Ab initio calc together with a microscopic
 modeling of rare gas matrices using experimental ! dipole polarizabiliti
 es. THEOCHEM. vol 232 pages 97-110 1991.
  Should be enough to get you started. JEB(PA13808 at UTKVM1)