Subject: quoting the list

From: Wolfgang Sauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 92 17:33:07 MET

Hi netters,

from time to time (quite frequently, actually) interesting statements are
exchanged through this forum. In some cases these are not underlaid by refs to
the literature, but purely by the experiences of the respective author.

Surely, nobody would regard something sent to a mail exploder as 'confidential',
but are entries to the list quotable ?  As long as all of them are kept at OSC
and therefore can be retrieved for checking, I'd see no reason, why not ...

But then: how ?  Is this a "Joe Someone: pers.comm." ?  Will "computational
chemistry mailing list, message-id #, Joe Someone, Feb 30 1992" suffice ?

I'd be most interested to hear (or rather read) your opinion.

Thanks in advance,
			Wolfgang Sauer

PS: summary to the list, if requested.
-- 
+======================================+=====================================+
|  Wolfgang Sauer                      |                                     |
|  Institut fuer Organische Chemie I   |  "You have to be three standard     |
|  Henkestr. 42, D-8520  Erlangen, FRG |   deviations away from a normal     |
|                                      |       personality to like UNIX."    |
|  [email-masked]       |                                     |
|  Tel.: 49/0 - 9131 - 85 - 2952       |              Morris Jones (C&T)     |
|  Fax:                   - 9132       |                                     |
+======================================+=====================================+

---

From: "DR. DOUGLAS A. SMITH, UNIVERSITY OF TOLEDO" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Nov 1992 14:53:17 -0400 (EDT)

I just submitted and had accepted a paper to the Journal of Organic Chemistry
on our work involving aromatic nitrenium ions (it is scheduled to appear
in issue #1, 1992).  If you recall, I posted some questions to the net
about Jahn-Teller distortion because we were seeing something we thought
was JT distortion in our triplet state systems.  The ensuing discussion
led to our redefining the problem as one of Hartree-Fock doublet instability,
and doing appropriate calculations to try to eliminate this problem.

In the paper, we referenced the net in a footnote as follows:

"For a general discussion of this instability problem, see:  Chambaud, G.;
Levy, B.; Millic, P. Theor. Chim. Acta 1978, 48, 103.  We thank the many
readers of the OSC Chemistry mail exploder for their input and suggestions
relating to this problem."

BTW, the complete set of mail on this topic is archived at ftp.utoledo.edu
in the [.chemistry] directory, and is available via anonymous ftp.

Doug Smith
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
The University of Toledo
Toledo, OH  43606-3390

voice    419-537-2116
fax      419-537-4033
email    [email-masked]