Subject: Software for review

From: "STEPHEN R. HELLER" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Nov 92 14:12:00 EDT

20 November, 1992

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.  I now have some packages  in
hand (see below) and I am looking for people who are willing to
review the software.  In return for the review you get to keep
the software.  The review should be completed in 1-2 months.  The
length of the review is 4-10 double spaced typed pages.  Sample
reviews can be found in most of the recent issues of JCICS.

     I have tried this approach with some software for review in
the past few months and it is working reasonably well. (For those
who haven't finished your reviews of software sent a few months
ago, this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I
am continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I hope it continues to work.  I reserve
the right to abandon this if it is a problem, or inappropriate. 
I will not notify people if I have found a reviewer.  If you
don't hear from me I have chosen someone else to review the
particular package.

     As I get many, many replies to this message, please do not
respond after 25 November, as I am sure the software will be gone
by then.

     I can be reached on INTERNET ([email-masked]),
or if necessary, by phone at 301-504-6055 or FAX at 301-946-2704. 

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS AND PHONE
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)

     Steve Heller

The packages I now have are:

1. RAIN, version 2.0 (Reactions and Intermediates Networks), an
IBM PC based program for the formal generation of reaction
networks.  It constructs possible reaction paths between starting
materials and final products.

2. Aldrichem on CD-ROM for the IBM PC. 

3. Aldrich Catalog (1992-1993) on CD-ROM for the IBM PC.

4. ConSystant & Chemeleon for the IBM PC.  ConSystant is for file
conversion of chemical data formats.  Chemeleon, running under
Windows, allows you to cut and paste chemical structures and
converts the format as needed for one application to another.

5. ChemWindow for the IBM PC running under Windows & ChemIntosh
for the Mac. This is a very popular chemistry drawing program.

6. STN Mentor packages for the IBM PC.  These are Interactive
learning packages for a number of STN databases:  the INSPEClab
file, the CAIab file, the PHYSlab file, and the BIOSISlab file.

7. STN Express, version 3.10 for the IBM PC.

8. Elsevier "Active Library on Corrosion".  This is a IBM PC
based CD-ROM hypermedia package.

9. Jandel Scientific, Peakfit Version 3.0, for the IBM PC. This
is a nonlinear curve fitting software package for chromatography
and spectroscopy.

10. Borland's Paradox DBMS, version 4.0 for DOS, for the IBM PC.