Subject: Intro to Distributed Memory Parallel Computing using PVM Workshop

From: "Jeanne C. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1993 08:32:04 -0500

*****************************************************
                            CORNELL THEORY CENTER
             Introduction to Distributed Memory Parallel Computing 
                      using Parallel Virtual Machine (PVM)

                             April 13-15, 1993

             *****************************************************

Registration materials must be received by March 9, 1993. 

This workshop is intended to train researchers and programmers in the use of
PVM, public domain software developed at Oak Ridge National 
Laboratory, provides the means to run parallel code on a heterogeneous 
collection of machines connected by one or more networks.
PVM is the parallel programming environment on the Theory Center's
cluster of IBM RISC System/6000 workstations. In addition, its portability 
and simplicity make it an ideal introduction to distributed-memory, 
message-passing programming in general.  PVM will also be available for 
IBM's new series of scalable RISC-based parallel systems from IBM's 
Highly Parallel Supercomputing Systems Laboratory (HPSSL). The 
Theory Center expects to have a HPSSL (ENVOY) system in early 1993.

The first two days of the workshop will offer instruction and lab time on 
the Theory Center's IBM RISC System/6000 cluster. The third day is 
optional time for code development, with in-depth consulting help from 
Theory Center staff.

Topics covered by the workshop will include:

-Distributed memory parallel programming concepts, terminology, and
 programming models

-PVM basics, including use of PVM libraries and discussion of template 
 codes

-PVM performance expectations

-Tools for development, analysis, and optimization of parallel code

-User experiences with PVM

-Design of the PVM daemon and libraries

-Experiences with the HPSSL (ENVOY) machine

Prerequisites are experience with the UNIX operating system and with the 
C or FORTRAN programming language.

ACCOMMODATIONS

Blocks of rooms will be held at the hotels listed below until three 
weeks before the workshop.  Attendees are responsible for their own 
reservations and meals. Paid parking is available on campus, but 
walking or use of the shuttle or bus service, where available, is 
recommended.

Collegetown Motor Lodge
312 College Avenue, Ithaca
607-273-3542, 800-745-3542
FAX: 607-272-3542
Rates start at $60/night.
Located just off campus, a 10-minute walk to the Engineering and 
Theory Center Building.

Best Western University Inn
East Hill Plaza, Rt. 393 and Judd Falls Road, Ithaca
607-272-6100
FAX: 607-272-1518
Rates start at $55/night.
Free shuttle service to Cornell/Airport provided.

Here are some additional nearby hotels.  Blocks of rooms have not 
been reserved.

Sheraton Inn
One Sheraton Drive, Ithaca
607-257-2000
FAX: 607-257-3998
Rates start at $59/night.
Located off campus, a five-minute drive to the Engineering and 
Theory Center Building. Free shuttle service to Cornell/Airport 
provided.

Statler Hotel
Cornell University campus
607-257-2500
FAX: 607-257-6432
Rates start at $95/night.
Located one block from the Engineering and Theory Center 
Building. Free shuttle service to Cornell/Airport provided.

This workshop will be held in the fourth floor training facility of 
the Engineering and Theory Center Building, located on Hoy Road at 
the Cornell University campus in Ithaca, New York.

TO REGISTER

Due to restricted space, registration for this workshop is limited. 
Preference will be given to those users who have already received 
an allocation at the Theory Center. To apply, return the completed 
registration form, along with payment, must be received by 
March 9, 1993. Registration forms will be accepted after the 
registration deadline if openings still remain. The workshop fee 
includes all workshop materials. Local users may charge the 
registration fee to the appropriate Cornell University account 
number. Registrations which do not include payment cannot be accepted.
Payment checks will be returned promptly to applicants not accepted 
due to over-enrollment.

PAYMENT SCALE, PAYABLE TO CORNELL UNIVERSITY

Academic participants: $60
Corporate Research Institute members: $250
Other corporate participants: $500

SEND TO:
Jeanne Miller
Assistant Workshop Coordinator
Cornell Theory Center
424 Engineering and Theory 
Center Building Ithaca, NY 
14853-3801
(607) 254-8813
FAX: (607) 254-8888
[email-masked]

WORKSHOP REGISTRATION FORM

Name:__

Institution:__

Address:__

Telephone:__

Fax:__

Preferred electronic mail address:__
 
Eagle userid? no__ yes; it is:__
 
RS/6000 cluster userid?  no__ yes; it is:__
 
KSR userid? no__ yes; it is:__
 
Social Security number (to set up new supercomputer accounts):__ 

List special needs  (e.g., mobility impaired):__
 
Account number to charge  (Cornell applicants only):__

Academic discipline:__
(for example, mathematical sciences, biological sciences, 
 chemical engineering)

Is your code written in:

FORTRAN?__

or C ?__

Status (check all that apply):

Academic:
   Undergraduate Student__
   Graduate Student__
   Post-doctoral__
   Faculty__
   Smart Node Consultant__
   Smart Node Advisor__
   Other  (explain)__

Corporate/Commercial:
   Research staff__
   Other (explain)__
   Name of Firm:__

Indicate which of the following best describes you: (optional) 
   African American__
   Caucasian__
   Asian American __
   Hispanic American__
   Native American or Alaskan Native__
   Other (please specify)__

All trade names referenced are trademarks or registered 
trademarks of their respective companies.