Subject: Putting QCPE on the net

From: Ralph Merkle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1993 13:49:19 PDT

I realize that commercial advertising is usually frowned upon, but in this
case (given the recent discussion of how to make QCPE available on the
net) I thought people would be interested in Amix.  (I'm not affiliated
with Amix, though I do have friends there).

Amix lets people buy and sell data of any type (manuals, software, whatever).
Right now, you need an IBM PC and some way of connecting to Amix (dial
up their telephone number, connect to them through a packet switched
network, or whatever).  They'll have a Mac version out soon.  They aren't
connected to the Internet yet, but the're working on it.  Monthly
fees are reasonable ($8/month).  They let buyers and sellers of
information negotiate whatever price they want, and then Amix takes
a percentage of the selling price.  Their fees are listed at the end
of this message.

It looks like the ideal way to solve many of the problems people have been
talking about here.

Ralph C. Merkle
[email-masked]

---------------AMiX information-----------------------

REAL BUSINESS. REAL RESULTS.

REAL MONEY
Most online services were designed for either hobbyists or system experts -
long on fun and games, but pretty short on truly useful information. You
can spend hours (at exorbitant online rates) on a hit-or-miss hunt for the
information you need. Or you might share you own hard-won expertise with
others - as a free public service. While this kind of exchange can make
good community, it rarely makes for good business.

The reality is that you usually get exactly what you pay for. That's what
AMiX is all about. It's the first online service designed specifically for
doing real business by modem. A gathering place for real people and
companies, with real professional reputations at stake - and real money on
the line. An online marketplace where you can negotiate real contracts, set
real deadlines, and discover new opportunities that can lead to real
success.

REAL OPPORTUNITIES
Your AMiX account entitles you to act as either a buyer or a seller in this
new virtual marketplace. It's the way to do business in the future. And
it's open for business today.

If you're buying, AMiX lets you quickly comparison-shop for information
products (like software, research data, or technical help) in an
environment that's as easy and inviting as your local mall. Everyone you
meet uses their real name, and has a professional resume posted. You even
get to see what their previous clients say about them, to help you get the
best quality at maximum efficiency.

If you're selling, AMiX brings in potential customers, takes care of
billing, arbitrates occasional disputes, and sends you a check each month.

Whether you're a Fortune 500 executive looking for a critical piece of
research, or a one-person consultancy with a sharply focused area of
expertise, the opportunities for making and saving money on AMiX are
limited only by your imagination and expertise.

REAL MONEY
AMiX is designed to help people market information. Unlike most online
services, AMiX is not in the business of selling airtime. (In fact, you'll
probably be surprised at our low online rates.) We make a commission on
each sale. So we only make money when you make money.

REAL INFORMATION
AMiX is creating information markets across a variety of business topics
ranging from computer software to finance to small business management.
It's a free-market system that rewards those who can provide high-quality
information, fast. Right now, you can get online with AMiX and:

*       Distribute software, programming tools, and code components
instantly - no packaging, printing, or duplicating costs, no transport
issues, no collection hassles. And issuing manuals and upgrades is as easy
as uploading new files.

*       Buy a subscription to a must-read newsletter or magazine. Or buy a
single issue, a single article, or just one key fact.

*       Upload and sell your existing articles, tips, solutions, analyses,
and papers that might be of value to others.

*       Get instant, inexpensive access to top experts in a growing range
of fields who can get you specialized information quickly, at a competitive
price.

*       Make money selling your expertise on the subject you know best.

*       Run your own nationwide consulting business - and never have to
leave your home or office.

AMiX lets you evaluate a growing selection of goods and services the same
way you might compare brands and styles in a department store. And if you
don't see what you want, you can order a custom-tailored solution to fit
your needs.

REAL TALK
"It's all there...all the things I've been thinking
about...Congratulations!" - Esther Dyson, RElease 1.0

"AMiX's possibilities are tremendous." - Judith Feder, Electronic Services
Update

"AMiX can help me in my business both as a buyer and seller." - Ajit Kapor

"AMiX is an innovative opportunity to serve a new business segment in an
entirely new way." - Portia Isaacson

"Where do I sign up?" - Leslie Fiering, Gartner Group

"I was wondering when someone would do this." - Wendy Woods, Newsbytes

ABOUT AMiX
The American Information Exchange Corporation was incorporated in 1986.
After several years of product research and development, the AMiX Service
went online in January, 1992.

For additional product or company information, or to get your own AMiX
account, contact:
        American Information Exchange Corporation
        540 N. Santa Cruz Ave., #271
        Los Gatos, CA    95030-4347

AMiX, American Information Exchange Corporation
The Information Marketplace (R)

AMiX, AMiX Service, Information Marketplace, and Information Markets are
trademarks of the American Information Exchange Corporation. All other
product, brand, or company names are trademarks of their respective
holders. (c) 1992 American Information Exchange Corporation.

==============================================================================

We would also like to send you the AMiX PC software - free of charge.  With
it you can log on as a GUEST and browse the service.  You can also sign-up
through an online registration process. (Macintosh software is in
development, and will be released later this year.)

In order to receive the software, please forward the following information:     
        name
        mailing address
        telephone number
        preferred disk size (DOS 3.5" or 5.25")
        how you heard about AMiX

We look forward to seeing your services available online soon!  Please
contact us if you have any further questions.

==============================================================================
MARKETS

SOFTWARE AND CODE
Software for Sale or Evaluation
Smalltalk
C and C++

PRODUCTS AND TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Microsoft Windows
MS-DOS
Desktop Publishing & Multimedia
Databases & Templates
Engineering, Architecture & Manufacturing

BUSINESS & SERVICES
Business Information
Computing Trends & Analysis
Marketing & Management Services
Information Brokers
Writers & Editors

=============================================================

PRICES

Setting up Your Account:
$35 one-time account set-up fee for each person or company establishing an
AMIX account.

Monthly Account Charges:
$8/month per account.  Invoice billing available for most U.S. corporations
at an additional $5/month.

Connect Charges:
Nationwide packet-switch network:  Contiguous United States $5.50/hour;
Alaska, Hawaii and Canads: $9.50/hour.  Direct dial (San Francisco Bay area
only):  $3/hour. Direct dial (all other areas): $2/hour plus long-distance
charges.  For more information on international connect fees, contact AMIX.

Storage Fees:
Up to 2 megabytes of information may be stored on the AMIX host computers
at no charge. Storage fees will be charged at $0.75 per megabyte per month
for amount over 2 megabytes.

Mail Message Fees:
No fee for first 100 recipient-messages per month. (Examples: 1 message to
100 recipients or 100 messages to 1 recipient) Subsequent messages charged
to sender at $0.05 per recipient.

New Account Credit Limit:
New account credit limit is established at $500 unless arranged otherwise
with AMIX Customer Support.

Purchase of any item or consulting:
The price is determined by the seller, or by the buyer and seller during
negotiations.  Upon purchase, buyer's account is automatically charged and
seller's account is credited according to payment terms  (On Agreement, On
Delivery, On Acceptance, or On Evaluation).

Transaction Fees:
The minimum price for an item or consulting is $1 and maximum is $2,500.
The transaction fee is determined by the price and is charged to the
seller, as follows:
        
        40% of the first $50 +
        25% of second $50 +
        15% of next $400 +
        10% of the amount over $500
(Example:  Fee for a $10 transaction is:  $4;  Fee for a $600 transaction
is:  $20 + $12.50 + $60 + $10 = $112.50.)

Note:  This is a general summary of the fees. For a detailed pricing
summary, contact AMIX customer support or view the document "POLICIES &
PRICES" on AMIX. Fees are subject to change.