Subject: Protein database

From: [email-masked] (Steven E. Keinath)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 93 08:27:03 CDT

CCL Netters --

We have heard that there is a database in existence that contains the
molecular structures, i.e., atomic coordinates, of the native structures
of practically all of the proteins for which structures have been
determined.  Specifically, we are interested in the native structures,
i.e., the 3D placement of all of the amino acid residues, and not just
the sequence of amino acids.  Can anyone identify this database resource
for us?  Thanks in advance.

-- Steve Keinath and Marc Mansfield
   Michigan Molecular Institute
   Midland, Michigan  48640  U.S.A.

---

From: Abby Parrill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1993 11:36:46 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 25 Aug 1993, Steven E. Keinath wrote:

> 
> CCL Netters --
> 
> Specifically, we are interested in the native structures,
> i.e., the 3D placement of all of the amino acid residues.

What you are interested is the Protein Data Bank (PDB) which 
can be accessed by anonymous ftp (pdb.pdb.bnl.gov).  
The PDB can be contacted by the following:

Protein Data Bank
Chemistry Department, Building 555
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Upton, NY 11973 U.S.A.

516-282-3629
FAX:  516-282-5751
e-mail:[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian A. Kell)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 93 18:53:59 EDT

> for us?  Thanks in advance.

You are referring to The Protein Data Bank ("PDB"), which is
administered by the Brookhaven National Laboratory.  Three-D protein
structures can be obtained in a number of ways, including tape,
CD-ROM, e-mail file server, and anonymous FTP.

The following information was taken directly from the April 1993
version of the PDB Newsletter:

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> To Contact the PDB:
> 
> Protein Data Bank
> Upton, NY 11973 USA
> Telephone: +1 516-282-3629
> Facsimile:  +1 516-282-5751
> e-mail:[email-masked]
> or [email-masked]
> 
> Please include your telephone number, facsimile number, mailing
> address, and e-mail address in all correspondence.
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also reach their file server via anonymous ftp at 
pdb.pdb.bnl.gov [130.199.144.1].

(Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with the PDB nor BNL.)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian A. Kell                      Applications Support Specialist
[email-masked]                           Biosym Technologies, Inc.
------------------------------------------------------------------