Subject: GRASP summary

From: Bernhard Anton Pabsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 12:59:07 +0100

This is the summary of answers concerning a request on GRASP.
Thanks for your reply. This mailexploder is a nice thing!

The original question:

Dear netters,
in the last two days on the LATSIS Symposium in Zurich on Horizons in
Structural Biology I learnd about the program GRASP from W Hendrickson.
Is that program publicly available by ftp?

The answers:

From: [email-masked] (Carlos Faerman)

I was under the impression that GRASP is by Anthony Nicholls and Barry
Honig... This program is to carry out electrostatic calculations and
display the results. If this is the program you care about it costs $500
(at least that was the price for academics).
If you need more help let me know
carlos h. faerman

From: [email-masked] (The Mad (Al)Chemists Group)

You can find the Public Domain version of
Grasp directly in Suisse: try
 nic.switch.ch
in the directory software/msdos/simtel20/animation
The file should be PDGRASP.ZIP (or something like this).

	Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Carlo Nervi,
Dipartimento di Chimica Inorganica, Chimica Fisica e Chimica dei Materiali,
via P. Giuria 7, 10125 Torino, ITALIA.
Internet: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Peter Shenkin)

GRASP is not from W. Hendrickson.  It is from Barry Honig's lab, and
was written by Anthony Nicholls, "[email-masked]".
You should contact him for further info.

	-P.
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Box 768 Havemeyer Hall, Dept. of Chemistry, Columbia Univ.,
New York, NY  10027;  [email-masked];  (212) 854-5143
********************** Wagner, Beame, Screvane in '93! ********************** 

From: Max Vasquez <[email-masked]>

Hello,

  the program GRASP was originally described by Nicholls et al. in Proteins
11, 282 (1991).  This paper came from Barry Honig's group, like Hendrickson,
also at Columbia University.  I do not know if one can get this program
free by ftp, but I doubt it.  They may have included some information about
availability in the above reference.  I would be interested in finding out
about that too.

Best wishes,

========================================
Max Vasquez, PhD
Protein Design Labs, Inc.
2375 Garcia Ave.
Mountain View CA 94043
Phone (415) 903 3744   FAX (415) 903 3730
e-Mail  wk01189 @ worldlink.com
========================================

From: [email-masked] (Stanley Krystek)

GRASP is available from Anthony  Nicholls at Columbia
at E-mail [email-masked].  There is
a small charge for the program but i can say it is well 
worth it.  Anthony also responds to E-mail questions
wich is a help in getting started.

stan

 Stanley R. Krystek, Jr., Ph.D.      
 Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute 
 Department of Macromolecular Modeling
 P.O. Box 4000, Room H.3812, Princeton, N.J.  08543-4000
 (609) 252-4100  FAX: (609) 252-6030 
 INTERNET:  [email-masked] 

From: [email-masked] (Philippe Youkharibache)

The program GRASP was written by Anthony Nicholls at Columbia.  Although
he is in the same department of Wayne Hendrickson, Wayne is just a user
of GRASP.  Anthony has set up an anonymous ftp account with 20 or so grasp 
pictures, with notes illustrating what the program can do, as well as an
demo version.  Its at cumbnd.bioc.columbia.edu (128.59.96.103).  

Anthony Nicholls can be reached at [email-masked]

**************************************************************************
Dr. Philippe Youkharibache 			e-mail: [email-masked]
Biosym Technologies Inc.
9685 Scranton Road				tel: (619) 546 5562
San Diego, CA 92121				fax: (619) 458 0136
**************************************************************************