Subject: Do not hate me because I am beautiful

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 00:33:35 -0500

Dear Netters,

I am getting closer the completion of the move of chemistry list and
its archives to the new machine. I had/have some problems, since we are
running more secure environment, and as they say: "the ultimate in
computer security is when the user cannot use the computer anymore".
It was not easy (at least for me)  but there are some advantages.
I would strongly encourage you to read the new help file. You can get it
by sending a message:
  HELP CHEMISTRY
to [email-masked]. 
Have your comments/corrections/suggestions sent to [email-masked], not the list.

What is new? 
 1) For people not blessed with the access to Internet (ftp) the new
   mailserver will allow the retrieval of files (including binary files) from
   archives via e-mail. To find out how to use it, send a message
     HELP
   to [email-masked]
   and then read it and send for more help files for individual commands.
   This is a fairly complicated program, which I wrote. There was nothing
   really available, which would do all the things I wanted it to do.
   So, please, report bugs and comments, so I can make it better.
   If nothing comes back, tell me. It means that your From: line is
   corrupted, and the poor thing cannot find your address. There is a hook
   for this too, and I can authorize you to give your correct address in
   the body of the message.

2) I am rearranging archives of CCL to group related files in directories,
   name them more informatively, and put README files in each of the
   directories. The archives are now on www.ccl.net. Have a look
   and please send me your comments. This is far from finished. SO PLEASE
   SEND ME YOUR IDEAS, it is still time to fix things before they solidify.
   I need to crossreference many files, to recall what this stuff is, and
   to write it. Of course you can help...

3) I am still working on it, but there is an updated version of the
   archive searching program. PLEASE USE THE SEARCH, at least before
   posting to the list. To get information on how to search list archives
   retrieve help file for the search by sending a line:
     HELP SEARCH
   to [email-masked]
   Believe me, reading the instructions for search is a nice intelectual
   exercise (who said I am humble...), and an exercise in understanding
   my terrible English. So please do it, you will not regret. And send
   me comments/corrections/enhancements. The search will become a part
   of MAILSERV (it will be one of the commands), but for the time being
   I want to test it separately, so it is easier to debug either of them.

4) Gopher is still in testing, but will be available soon.

THE FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions File) PROGRESS
================
I want to thank all of you who wrote me about the FAQ. I am saving
your comments and will get to them as soon as the new CCL environment
stabilizes. But I wish I had more comments, So:

Please send to [email-masked] (only me, NOT A LIST, PLEASE) the topics
and questions which you think should be included in the FAQ (Frequently
Asked Questions) file. If you want to offer your help, you know that
you are welcome. So please do!

With a move to a larger machine we have MORE disk space for archives.
I will gladly put software, documentation, Ph.D. theses... there.
You name it. We have space... We need your stuff (or your suggestions
what should be there and where to get it). Please SEND ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS
and public domain software, documents, whatever. Thank you in advance.
If you want to deposit something, ask me how, and I will tell you.

Please, do not be impatient when I do not answer your mail. Be sure
I have read it, and though my priorities may be totally radiculous,
it seems that I need to do some things before the others. So please be
considerate.

Thank you for your patience.
Jan Labanowski
The-person-trying-to-manage-CCL
[email-masked]