Subject: Accessing data on Aldrich CD-ROM

From: Kestutis Sliupas <lith!kestas>
Date: 11 Nov 93 06:04:11 PST (Thu)

Hi:
	We have built an inventory control program for chemical 
reagents using MACCS and Rdb. However, populating the data fields
for many of the reagents is time consuming. The structural component
is relatively easy to find, but the CAS number, Aldrich reagent name, 
and Aldrich catalog number fields are problematic. This is especially 
true for older reagents, and other vendor's products.
	Since the majority of the reagents are from Aldrich, we 
would like to create a RDB table of CAS numbers, Aldrich reagent name 
and purity, and Aldrich catalog number. The Aldrich MSDS CD-ROM has 
this info. for about 50+K reagents, but has a clunky MS-DOS search 
program and a unknown data format. It also would by nice to create a
name synonymn table, since the same reagent wears many faces :-)
	What is the data format used on the CDROM? Is there any 
way to extract this info., or are there any other data sources out 
there (preferably available by ftp or tape)? 
	Please respond e-mail, and I will summarise in a week or so.
-- 

 				Regards, Kestas
 
  Kestutis Sliupas            x  (510) 231-1540 (work voice) 
  ucdavis!lith!kestas         x  (510) 231-1285 (work FAX) USA CA