Subject: Florentine Symposium: Tr.Met. Exper.+Theory

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Nov 13 11:12:36 1993

Societa' Chimica Italiana 
				     and
		      Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche

	     INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON MOLECULAR REACTION MECHANISMS 
			  INVOLVING TRANSITION METALS: 
		      Experimental and Theoretical Aspects

Florence, October 25-30, 1994
_____________________________________________________________________________

SCOPE.

The aim of this symposium is to bring together experimentalists and 
theoreticians to illustrate important aspects of the reactivity occurring 
at transition metal centers. This field is of topical importance in chemistry,
given the implications for the development of selective processes and the 
reactions of biological relevance promoted by transition metals. Substantial 
progress may be expected if the explorers of the experimental facts and the 
pursuers of theoretical ideas can talk to each other by using an unique 
language. This symbiosis is a primary goal for the chairmen of the symposium 
and for the Organizing Commitee. The program will consist mainly of topical 
lectures which alternate between experimental and theoretical viewpoints.
There will be opportunities for discussion and poster presentantion for 
anybody willing to bring their personal scientific contributions.

TOPICS OF THE SYMPOSIUM.

Among general topics, the following arguments will be prominently addressed:
A) Organometallic Chemistry and Catalysis
Activation and formation of C-C bonds. Metal-assisted transformations of C1 
molecules. Oxidations. Selective hydrogenation reactions.
B) Bioinorganic Chemistry
Phothosynthesis. Metal-carbon bond homolysis. Oxygen transport and transfer. 
Electron transfer reactions.
C) Theoretical Aspects
The status of the art in the qualitative understanding of reactions and their 
quantitative reproducibility. The relations between structure and reactivity.

CONFERENCE ORGANIZATION.

The conference is being organized by the Societa' Chimica Italiana and 
supported by the Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche  (C.N.R.)
The chairmen Dr. Claudio BIANCHINI and Dr. Carlo MEALLI of the Istituto per 
lo Studio della Stereochimica ed Energetica dei Composti di Coordinazione 
(CNR, Florence) cooperate with the International Scientific Commette, formed 
by the following members:

Romano Cipollini, Rome (President)
Ivano Bertini, Florence
Geoffrey Wilkinson, London
Fred Basolo, Evanston
Luigi Venanzi, Zurich
Luis Oro, Zaragoza
Oriano Salvetti, Pisa  
Giovanni Natile, Bari 
Gian Luigi Casalone, Milano

A local Organizing Commettee is formed by:
Drs. Alberto Vacca, Andrea Scozzafava, Mario Piccioli and Maurizio Peruzzini 
(Scientific Secretary).

LOCATION.

Florence is the well renowned Renaissance town in Tuscany, central Italy (ca. 
2hrs from Rome, by train). There is a small local airport connected to the 
major european cities and the city is directly connected by train with the 
airport in Pisa (ca. 1hr). The site of the symposium is located in the 
historical downtown, close to the major monuments and galleries (walk in 
five minutes to the Uffizi Gallery).

SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM.

The symposium is intented to provide a Forum for outstanding lecturers 
highlighting the transition metals as common denominators of the chemical 
reactivity. The areas of interest will span from Organometallic to 
Bioinorganic Chemistry and equal opportunities are given to the 
experimentalists and to the interpreters of the reaction mechanisms through 
a variety of theoretical approaches. 
The arrival of the participants is on Tuesday, October 25th. There will be 
unique daily sessions starting on Wednesday, October 26th and terminating on 
Sunday the 30th. Each morning and afternoon session will comprise topical 
lectures (45 min. each) presented from outstanding speakers, alternating 
between the experimental and theoretical areas. The following have already 
agreed with enthusiam to present a lecture:

Thomas ALBRIGHT (USA)                    Gilbert BALAVOINE (France)
Maurice BROOKHART (USA)                  Fausto CALDERAZZO (Italy)
Maria CALHORDA (Portugal)                Ernesto CARMONA (Spain)
Ken CAULTON (USA)                        Paolo CHIUSOLI (Italy)
Alain DEDIEU (France)                    Pierre DIXNEUF (France)
Gerhard ERKER (Germany)                  Odile EISENSTEIN (France)
Pier Carlo FANTUCCI (Italy)              Carlo FLORIANI (Switzerland)
Harry GRAY (USA)                         Mauro GRAZIANI (Italy)
Wolfgang HERRMANN (Germany)              Roald HOFFMANN (USA)
Peter HOFMANN (Germany)                  Bernhard LIPPERT (Germany)
Claudio LUCHINAT (Italy)                 Daniel MANSUY (France)
Luigi MARZILLI (USA)                     Mike MINGOS (England)
Keiji MOROKUMA (Japan)                   Tom O'HALLORAN (USA)
Guy ORPEN (England)                      Rinaldo POLI (USA)
Warren ROPER (New Zealand)               Roberto SANCHEZ-DELGADO (Venezuela)     
Antonio SGAMELLOTTI (Italy)              Alex SHILOV (Russia)                     
Kaz TATSUMI (Japan)                      Kees VRIEZE (Netherlands)               
Antonio XAVIER (Portugal)

Another vital and significant component of the conference will be the poster 
session to which contributions are warmly invited. Anyone wishing to offer a 
scientific contribution should submit not later than March 31 1994 a title 
and a synopsis to the Scientific Secretariat of the symposium, Dr. Maurizio 
Peruzzini, ISSECC, CNR, Via J. Nardi 39, 50132 Florence, Italy.

PROCEEDINGS.

The invited lectures and contributed poster papers will be published after 
refereeing, in an appropriate volume distributed to the participants.

HOTEL RESERVATIONS

Room reservations will be processed through 
Signora Leila Tarini
CTU-VIAGGI, Via San Gallo 9r, Firenze. 
Tel 0039-55-283733, FAX 210915

Block reservations have been made at several Hotels of different category 
(*, **, ***, ****). The special Conference rates will be communicated in the 
next circular, in early 1994. Due to the long tourist season in Florence, it 
is recommended to make reservations prior April 30th 1994. 

PREREGISTRATION AND REGISTRATION.

Registration is required for all partecipants to the Conference. A Conference 
Registration Form must be completed and sent, with the appropriate payment of 
$300 (students $150, members of the Societa' Chimica Italiana $250) not later 
than April 30th 1994. A $50 discount is given for preregistrations postmarked 
until January 31st 1994.
Please send your registration form by regular mail or fax to:

Societa' Chimica Italiana
Viale Liegi 48c
00198 ROME
ITALY
FAX 0039-6-8548734  (Tel. 0039-6-8549691)

Please confirm, as soon as possible, your pre-registration via e-mail to one 
of the addresses listed below:

[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

FURTHER INFORMATION.

Additional information including details of the programme will be sent to all who have 
notified their interest in the conference by writing to one of the chairmen, 
Dr. Claudio Bianchini or Dr. Carlo Mealli or to the Scientific Secretary of 
the Symposium. Dr. Maurizio Peruzzini:
Postal Address: 
ISSECC-CNR
Via J. Nardi 39
50132, Florence
Italy
Telephone: 0039-55-245990 or 2346653     Fax 0039-55-2478366
E-mail addresses: 
[email-masked]  --- 
[email-masked] --
[email-masked] --

_____________________________________________________________________________
REGISTRATION FORM

		       INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
				 ON
	   MOLECULAR REACTION MECHANISMS INVOLVING TRANSITION METALS
		  Experimental and Theoretical Aspects

Form for REGISTRATION (not later than April 30 1994) 
and/or PRE-REGISTRATION (immediately)

Mail, or Fax Registration to:
Rita Bugliosi
Societa' Chimica Italiana
Viale Liegi 48c
00198 ROME
ITALY
FAX 06-8548734

E-mail Pre-Registration to: [email-masked]  
 or                         [email-masked]

name (as it will appear on the badge)

Last:___________________________ First: _________________________

Organization (as it will appear on badge)
 _________________________________________

Mailing Address:                        
_________________________ 
____________________________________            
____________________________________       ____________ 
____________________________________
City _____________________  Zip Code ______________State ________
Telephone Number: (____)___________ Fax Number: (___)____________
Electronic mail address: ________________________________________

I may be accompanied by _____ persons.
Mode of payment. ____________________

I intend to submit a poster    Yes ____     No ____        
Abstracts must be received no later than April 30, 1994.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Carlo Mealli
ISSECC, CNR
Via J.NARDI 39, 50132 Firenze, ITALY
e-mail: [email-masked]
Tel. 0039-55-2346653 (243990) - Fax 2478366 - Home 4492709