Subject: Re: AIX sendmail is DANGEROUS !!!

From: [email-masked] (Peter Shenkin)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 93 11:25:28 -0500

Davide Proserpio wrote to me asking about the availability of the
fixed SGI sendmail that I referred to in an earlier posting in this
thread.  In anticipation of general interest, I thought I'd copy my
reply to the comp. chem. list:

> From: [email-masked]
> 
>   I have an SGI and I would like to konw more about the new
> sendmail from SGI and his availability (via ftp?)

You can login to site "ftp.sgi.com" as user "anonymous".  If you then
"get" the README file, it will tell you where the sendmail of interest
to you is located.  The appropriate excerpts from this file follow:

	~ftp/sgi/IRIX5.0            (Fixes)
		sendmail/       IRIX sendmail w/security fixes.

	~ftp/sgi/IRIX4.0            (Fixes)
		sendmail/       IRIX sendmail w/security fixes.
 
Obviously (I hope!), you need to get the right version for your
IRIX version.  To do this, "cd" into the appropriate "sendmail"
directory, "mget *", and read the README that comes over.

To install, you'll need to kill any existing sendmail processes,
replace the old executable with the new one, and possibly also
replace your sendmail.cf with a new one from the bugfix distribution --
though that might not, in fact, be necessary;  I'm not sure.  Then
you'll have to start the new sendmail.

Hope this helps....

	-P.
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Box 768 Havemeyer Hall, Dept. of Chemistry, Columbia Univ.,
New York, NY  10027;  [email-masked];  (212) 854-5143
********************** Atheist: an evangelical agnostic. ********************