Subject: COSMIC-NASA information database

From: [email-masked] (C.S.RAMAN)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1993 12:28:24 -0600 (CST)

Dear Netters
  
  Few months ago, I promised to have a posting regarding this database,
  but got tied up with other things.  So here goes....
  
  COSMIC, NASA's software technology transfer center is located at the
  University of Georgia (since 1966).  They have over 1200 computer
  programs originally developed by NASA and its contractors for the U.S.
  Space program.
  
  There is software available for a wide variety of subjects including the
  following:  
  
  Artificial Intelligence
  Computational Fluid Dynamics
  Computational Chemistry      
  Scientific Visualization
  Thermal & Fluid Flow Analysis
  Finite Element Structural Analysis
  Genetic Algorithms
  Compilers
  Etc.,
  
  Programs are priced on a cost-recovery basis and usually include
  source-code.
  
  There is a substantial (~ 50%) discount for Academia.

  I have used one of their GA algorithms and am extremely happy with the
  same.  It is very fast and customizable!!  

  COSMIC ACCESS INFORMATION:
  
  There are several ways to access COSMIC database.  
  
  1. Set your gopher client to reflect  "cossack.cosmic.uga.edu",
  (128.192.14.4) and follow the menu
  
  2. The same address above is also an anon. FTP site (login: anonymous
  and password: <your complete email address> ).  You can download the
  domestic or international version of the MS-DOS catalog and it can be
  found by CDing to either "catalog/domestic" or "catalog/international"
  directory.  The filenames are "pccat93d.zip" and "pccat93i.zip"
  respectively.
  
  3.  You can also telnet to 'cosline.cosmic.uga.edu" (128.192.14.11), and
  no login is required. 
  
  4.  Those without gopher and ftp access, can send an email message to:
  
         [email-masked]
  
  Text of the message should say:  SEND PCCAT93D  or SEND PCCAT93I.

  I also found that, some software available through COSMIC can be
  directly obtained from the authors themselves, provided you have that
  information.  In that latter case, there is only a nominal fee to cover
  postage and media charges.

  Cheers
  -raman
-- 
C.S.Raman                                 [email-masked] - Internet
UNIX Programming & Administration         [email-masked] - CIS
SPARC & SGI Systems                       [email-masked] - CHPC
Department of Biochemistry                [email-masked]
UTHSCSA       
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.                       (210) 567-6623   [Tel]
San Antonio, TX 78284-7760                (210) 567-6595   [Fax]
******************************************************************************
         If a man's wit be wandering, let him study the Mathematics
                                                            -Francis Bacon   
******************************************************************************