Subject: Solar Energy Conversion Conference (IPS-10)

From: [email-masked] (Martin Braendle)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1993 17:12:39 +0100 (NFT)

July  24-29,  1994       Tenth International Conference on
         Interlaken,       Photochemical Conversion and
         Switzerland       Storage of Solar Energy (IPS-10)
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Second circular and call for papers

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and Gentlemen

It is my pleasure to invite you to participate in the 10th International
Conference on Photochemical Conversion and Storage of Solar Energy to be held
in the Interlaken Conference Centre, Switzerland, from July 24-29, 1994.

IPS conferences are held every two years with the aim of outlining the latest
developments in the field of photochemical conversion and storage of solar
energy. This IPS conference will cover the following areas:

* Photoinduced electron transfer processes;
* Photocatalysis in heterogeneous and homogeneous systems;
* Photoelectrochemistry;
* Photosynthesis in biological and biomimetic systems;

=> Quantum chemical studies of molecules on surfaces under the influence of light;
=>  (which will be a challenge for computational chemists to contribute)

* Thermodynamic aspects of quantum solar energy conversion;
* Photochemistry at elevated temperatures: quantum processes?;
* Environmental applications of photocatalytic systems;
* Materials for photoenergy conversion and photochemical engineering.

Two lectures concern solar energy applications and solar energy research in
Switzerland.

I look forward to seeing you in Interlaken in July 1994.

                                            Gion Calzaferri, Chairman of IPS-10

Preliminary Timetable
---------------------

Sunday, July 24             14:00-18:00 Registration
                            19:00 Welcome reception and opening session

                 Monday    Tuesday  Wednesday Thursday   Friday

                Chairman: Chairman: Chairman: Chairman: Chairman:
                                                                              
                  Dan     Devens    Franco     Akira    V. Krishnan,
                 Meisel,    Gust,   Decker    Fujishima   
                 Argon      USA      Rome      Tokyo     Bangalore
                  USA                Italy     Japan       India

8:15-09:15     John Kerry Jean-Marie Michael    Mary      A.W.
                Thomas,     Lehn,    Gr„tzel, Anne Fox, Rutherford,
               Notre Dame Strasbourg Lausanne   Austin  Gif sur Yvette
                USA        France      CH        USA      France  

09:15-10:15      Alexis   Vincenzo  Masakazu   Nathan   James R.
                 de Vos,  Balzani,   Anpo,   S. Lewis,  Bolton,
                  Gent    Bologna    Osaka    Pasadena  London
                 Belgium    Italy     Japan      USA    Canada
          
10:15-11:30           Coffee  Break  and  Poster  Session

11:30-12:05    Kirill I. Vaidyanathan  Frank    Edmond    Davide
               Zamaraev, Ramamurthy, Wilkinson, Amouyal, Proserpio,
              Novosibirsk Delaware  Loughborough Orsay    Milan
               Russia       USA        UK       France    Italy

12:05-12:40     Thomas    Yi Cao,   Wolfram    Arvind      open
               Nordmann,            Wettling,   Shah,
                Z�rich    Beijing   Freiburg  Neuchƒtel
                  CH       China    Germany      CH

                      B r e a k     f o r     l u n c h

14:15-16:15      Poster Session    Excursion  Poster
                                              Session    
                                                          Final
                                                         Discussions

16:15-16:50    Wolfgang   Prabir               MichŠle  Masamichi
                Lubitz,  K. Dutta,             Bolte,   Fujihira,
                Berlin   Columbus              Aubiere  Yokohama 
               Germany     USA                 France   Japan
                                                       
                                                        Gary
                                                        Hodes,
                                                        Rehovot
                                                        Israel

17:00-18:20       W o r k s h o p s          Workshops  Boat Trip

                B r e a k     f o r     d i n n e r     Conference
                                                        Dinner and
                                                        Entertainment

20:15-21:15    David O.  Lord George           Paul     Chairman:
                Hall,    Porter             Kesselring, Frank Wilkinson,
               London    London              Villigen   Loughborough
                 UK        UK                  CH       UK

Workshops
---------

The workshops at IPS-10 are designed to provide an opportunity to discuss the
results and scientific perspectives of a topic of your main interest in a
more detailed fashion. Four workshops will be held in parallel:

Thermodynamic aspects of solar energy conversion and photochemistry at elevated
temperatures, quantum processes
A.J. Nozik, P. W�rfel

Electron transfer in photosynthesis and biomimetic model compounds;
magnetic resonance studies
H. Kurreck, K. M”bius

Photoelectrochemistry and solar fuels
H. Tributsch. F. Willig
                           
Photocatalysis in homogeneous and heterogeneous systems and environmental 
aspects of photocatalytic systems
E. Pelizzetti, N. Serpone

Call for papers
---------------

Contributions from participants are encouraged. A book of abstracts will be
distributed at the conference. Abstracts of plenary lectures, evening
lectures, invited lectures and contributed papers must be sent <by mail or by
fax, and signed> to the conference secretariat of IPS-10, not later than
February 28, 1994. All authors will be notified by April 1994 of the decision
of the selection committee. Poster submission specifications will be sent to
all authors of accepted contributions. The instructions for preparation of the
abstracts are given in the enclosed guidelines.

Proceedings
-----------

The proceedings will be published about four months after the conference by
Elsevier Science Publishers in the journal Solar Energy Materials and Solar
Cells. Before and during the conference, participants can order the proceedings
at the reduced price of CHF 35.00 which includes postage.  After the conference, 
the proceedings have to be ordered direct from the publishers.
             
Posters
-------

The contributed posters will all be on display from Monday to Friday during
conference hours. The best poster will be awarded a prize based on scientific
content and quality of presentation.
            
Location
--------

The Thenth International Conference on Photochemical Conversion and Storage of
Solar Energy (IPS-10) will be held in the Conference Centre, Interlaken,
Switzerland.
        
Registration
------------

If you wish to attend IPS-10, please complete the attached registration form
(one copy per participant) and send it by <airmail> to the IPS-10 secretariat
with the appropriate payment, not later than March 31, 1994. Registration fees
are as follows:

                     before March 31, 1994   after March 31, 1994

Participants         CHF 380.--              CHF 480.-- 
Students*)           CHF 180.--              CHF 280.-- 
Accompanying persons CHF  95.--              CHF 130.--
Wednesday tour       CHF  60.--              CHF  60.--
Conference dinner    CHF 100.--              CHF 100.--
Proceedings          CHF  35.--              CHF  35.--

The fee covers the book of abstracts, welcome reception, coffee breaks and the
Friday boat trip. The conference dinner and a special tour on Wednesday can be
booked separately.
                           
*) Students have to submit a declaration from their supervisor together with 
   their registration form.
             
Payment
-------

Payments for registration must be made in Swiss Francs by money order and are 
due by March 31, 1994.  No personal checks will be accepted. All transfer
charges are payable by the participant. Transfer should be made to IPS-10, 
Bank account: 375.590.41G, Union Bank of Switzerland UBS, Bank clearing number
235, Bubenbergplatz 3, CH-3001 Berne.

Cancellation
------------

If you cancel your registration before June 8, 1994, 50% of your registration fee
will be refunded. No refunds can be made thereafter. If a written notification 
has been received by the IPS-10 Secretariat, the refund will be made. Please
indicate your address and bank transfer number.

Accomodation
------------

Accommodation is available in hotels close to the conference venue. A block 
booking has been made for conference participants and accompanying persons at
hotels of different categories. The prices indicated on the Hotel Reservation
Form include service, taxes and breakfast. (...) The Interlaken Tourist Office
will send you confirmation of your reservation, at the same time indicating the
name and address of your hotel. Book as soon as possible since rooms will be
reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.  Deadline for hotel reservation:
April 24, 1994. After this date, confirmations will depend on hotel availability.
Payments for hotel reservation (deposit or transmission of credit card number/final
payment) have to be made direct to your hotel. Inquiries: Verkehrsverein Interlaken,
Kongressabteilung, H”heweg, CH-3800 Interlaken, Tel. +41 36 22 21 54, 
Fax +41 36 22 52 21.

Third Circular
--------------

The third circular containing full details will be sent by the end of May 1994 to
those who have registered. The Organizing Committee would appreciate your supplying
this information to others who may be interested in attending IPS-10.
            
Language
--------

The official language of the conference will be English.
            
Deadline Table
--------------

Abstracts          February 28 1994
Registration       March    31 1994 
Hotel Reservation  April    24 1994 
Cancellation       June      8 1994

Correspondence
--------------

The IPS-10 Secretariat
Institute of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry
University of Berne
Freiestrasse 3
CH-3000 Berne 9
Switzerland
Tel. +41 31 631 42 36
Fax  +41 31 631 39 94

International Organizing Committee
----------------------------------

E. Amouyal, France; Y. Cao, China; M. Calvin, USA; G. Calzaferri, Switzerland;
F. Decker, Italy; M.A. Fox, USA; A. Fujishima, Japan; M. Fujihira, Japan;
D. Gust, USA; G. Hodes, Israel; V. Krishnan, India; J.-M. Lehn, France; 
D. Meisel, USA; A. Nozik, USA; E. Pelizzetti, Italy; Lord G. Porter, U.K.; 
N. Serpone, Canada; H. Tributsch, Germany; F. Willig, Germany; K.I. Zamaraev, 
Russia.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please send me this second circular in printed matter and a hotel reservation
form:

Name     : .................................................................. 

Adress   : ..................................................................
           
           ..................................................................

           ..................................................................

Postcode : ..................................................................

Town     : ..................................................................

Country  : ..................................................................

Tel.     : ..................................................................

Fax      : ..................................................................

This coupon can be sent by E-mail to [email-masked] or by mail to the
IPS-10 secretariat.
Registrations and Contributions are only accepted if they are sent by mail or
by fax to the IPS-10 secretariat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Braendle, Institute for Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, University of
Berne, Freiestr. 3, CH-3012 Berne, Email [email-masked]
IPS-10 secretariat: Tel. +41 31 631 42 36 (secretary: B. Niederhauser)
                    Fax  +41 31 631 39 94 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------