Subject: MMVRII

From: Karen Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Dec 93 12:12:07 EST

I hope the plans for your World Congress are going well.  We'd like to do an
announcement to be distributed via your electronic mailer system, as you offered
previously.  Please publish the following abbreviated program:

Medicine Meets Virtual Reality II:  INTERACTIVE TECHNOLOGY AND HEALTHCARE:
VISIONARY APPLICATIONS FOR SIMULATION, VISUALIZATION, ROBOTICS
January 27-30, 1994, San Diego Marriott Hotel & Marina
Sponsored by UCSD, 23 hours Category 1 CME credit, $390 until December 31, $450
after, call 619/751-8841, fax 751-8842, or E-mail 70530,[email-masked] for
information

THURSDAY, January 27, three workshops offered simultaneously:
I.  BIOLOGICAL INFORMATICS, Hans B. Sieburg, Ph.D., Chair, Participants:
Sheldon Ball, Floyd Bloom, Michael Huerta, Ralph Martinez, Jack Park, Stella
Veretnik, W. Ziarko

II. MASSIVELY PARALLEL PROCESSING COMPUTERS FOR MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT
Makoto Nonaka, M.D., Ph.D., Chair, Participants:  Adrian King, Patrick Chang,
Michael Gribskov, Russ Altman, Tom Brotherton

III.INTERACTIVE TECHNOLOGIES IN HEALTHCARE:  THE "BIG PICTURE"
Dave Warner, Chair

FRIDAY, January 28

TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT: Who Will Pay and Why?  Diane S. Millman, J.D., Paul
Radensky, M.D., J.D., John E. Abele, Steven T. Charles, M.D., Mark Wiederhold,
M.D., Ph.D., Faina Shtern, M.D., Melvyn Greberman, M.D., MPH

DATA FUSION:  More Than the Sum of the Parts.  Don Stredney, Hans B. Sieburg,
Ph.D., Mark Wiederhold, M.D., Ph.D.

APPLICATIONS: New Visions for New Technologies.  Col. Richard M. Satava, M.D.,
Joseph M. Rosen, M.D., Harvey Eisenberg, M.D., Michael D. Doyle, Ph.D., Walter
J. Greenleaf, Ph.D., John P. Brennan, M.D., Kenneth Kaplan, Beth A. Marcus,
Ph.D., Suzanne Weghorst, Christopher C. Gallen, M.D., Ph.D.

SURGERY:  Images of the New Paradigm.  Glenn M. Preminger, M.D., John Flynn,
Adrie C.M. Dumay, Ph.D., David Hon, Jonathan R. Merril, M.D., Zoltan Szabo,
Ph.D., Michael Truppe, M.D., Patrick J. Kelly, M.D., Robert B. Lufkin, M.D.,
Leon Kaufman, Ph.D., Karun Shimoga, Ph.D., William E. Lorensen, Volker Urban,
M.D., P. Mayer, N. M. Huewel, M.D.

SATURDAY, January 29

EDUCATION AND TRAINING:  The Best and Highest Use.  J.K. Udupa, Ph.D., Richard
A. Robb, Ph.D., Jonathan Prince, D.D.S., Helene M. Hoffman, Ph.D., Michael J.
Ackerman, Ph.D.

INTERFACE:  Speaking the Same Language.  Nathaniel I. Durlach, Dave Warner, Col.
Richard M. Satava, M.D., Myron Krueger, Ph.D., Walter J. Greenleaf, Ph.D., Paul
Cutt, Narender P. Reddy, Ph.D., Scott Hassan, Alan Barnum-Scrivener, John
Peifer, M.A.

TELEROBOTICS:  Reach Out and Touch Something.  Ian Hunter, Ph.D., Paul S.
Schenker, Ph.D., Elmar H. Holler, Steven T. Charles, M.D., Bela L. Musits, Hugh
Lusted, Ph.D., Janez Funda, Ph.D., Yulun Wang, Ph.D.

SUBMITTED PAPERS:
Gabriele Faulkner, Ph.D., Uwe G. Kuehnapfel, Ph.D., Matthias Wapler, R. Bowen
Loftin, Ph.D., Jaren Parikh, Kurt R. Smith, D.Sc., Bruce Kall, M.S., Donald W.
Kormos, Ph.D., David W. Cloyd, M.D., Penny Jennett, Ph.D., Lauren Gabelman,
M.S., Joshua Lateiner, Anthony M. DiGioia III, M.D., Joseph B. Petelin, M.D.,
Timothy Poston, Erik Viirre, M.D., Ph.D., Mark Bolas, A. David Johnson, Ph.D.,
Brian D. Athey, Ph.D.

SUNDAY, January 30

TELEMEDICINE:  The Global Health Community.  Dave Warner, Michael F. Burrow, Jay
H. Sanders, M.D., Ralph Martinez, Ph.D., William J. Dallas, Ph.D., John D.
Hestenes, Ph.D., Rudy Mattheus, M.Sc., Georges J.E. De Moor, M.D., Jens P.
Christensen, M.SE., MBA

SUMMARY DISCUSSION:  Improving Quality, Continuity, and Access to Healthcare
While Reducing Cost.  Faina Shtern, M.D., Col. Richard M. Satava, M.D., Makoto
Nonaka, M.D., Ph.D., Nathaniel I. Durlach, John D. Hestenes, Ph.D., Rudy
Mattheus, M.Sc., Melvyn Greberman, M.D., MPH

EXHIBITS:  Advanced Visual Systems, Inc., Artma Biomedical, Inc., BioControl
Systems, Inc., Computer Motion, Inc., Dimension Technologies, Inc., Engineering
Animation, Inc., XTensory, Inc., High Techsplanations, Inc., Image Technology
Associates, Inc., Immersion Corp., IVI Publishing, IXION, Kaiser Medical Optics,
Inc., Shooting Star Technology, Silicon Graphics, Inc., SONY Medical Systems,
Inc., Stealth Technologies, Inc., Pixys, Inc., Virtual Vision