Subject: Alpha vs. SGI for molecular simulations

From: "Dr. Mrigank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 93 14:57:36 +0530

Hi

We are about to place an order for a computer system for a newly
established molecular modelling laboratory. Our initial survey zeroed downs
to select DEC alpha. I have following questions 

1.    Which sysstem is better for this work, SGI(Indigo2, Challenge),
      Alpha (DEC 3000 AXP 600, 800), IBM RS/6000, Sun, HP 735 etc. 

2.    How are they score in 
      a)Number Crunching? b) Graphics Hardware? c) Graphics Software? 

3.    In case of AXP, is it which graphics option is better, PXG,
      Kubota, any other. Is it worth spending money in Kubota (More
      than Half the price of DEC 3000 AXP 600) 

4.    What is the price performance ratio, how much RAM generally
      needed and diskspace. 

5.    What all support OpenGL now? 
                                               
6.    Which OS is better for Alpha OSF/1 or OpenVMS? 

7.    What CASE tools avaiable on Alpha? 

8.    Any Benchmarks ?

Thanks in advance, Please reply by mail to save bandwidht, if sufficent
interest, I will summrize. 

Mrigank
----
Dr. Mrigank                       \/Phone  +91 172 45004 x216
Institute of Microbial Technology /\Email:  [email-masked]
P O Box 1304, Sector 39A          \/UUCP:...!uunet!sangam!vikram!imtech!mrigank
Chandigarh 160 014 India.         /\ 
==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+
-- When I feed the poor, they call me saint. When I ask why the poors do
   not have food, they call me communist - Archbishop Camaran