Subject: Re: What are the "Dow"s and what are the "Du Pont"s ???

From: [email-masked] (Pieter Stouten)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 09:36:00 -0500

On Tue, 4 Jan 94, Mingzuo Shen <[email-masked]> wrote:

>    Similarly, there are Du Pont <one thing or another>.  Exactly how
>many Du Pont companies are there?
>
I work for Du Pont <one thing or another>. We are NOT Du Pont. We are a
partnership of Du Pont and Merck. They own us fully and there is a joint
board that decides on the overall business strategy, but apart from that we
are a completely independent company (not much independence left, huh ?).
In some therapeutic areas we even compete with Merck. 

>Or even people from one
>of the chemical companies whose name bear "Dow" or "Du Pont".  [Yes, I
>am interested because I want to investigate job prospects.]
>
We probably will not have any permanent positions any time soon, but we
have an excellent postdoc program and our group (computer aided-drug
design) has at least one opening for a postdoc. You can send your resume to
me (see signature for address). I'll then circulate it among the people
that might be interested. 

Cheers, Pieter.

Pieter Stouten, Senior Research Scientist    ||
Computer Aided Drug Design Group             ||
The Du Pont Merck Pharmaceutical Company     ||    Adventures get spoiled
P.O. Box 80353, Wilmington, DE 19880-0353    ||   by being reduced to data
Phone: +1 (302) 695 3515                     ||             --
ARA/Fax: +1 (302) 695 4324                   ||        Poul Anderson
E-mail: [email-masked]      ||
Internet Shogi Server: kzinti                ||

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Huber)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 11:00:26 -0600

In response to the request by Mingzuo Shen <[email-masked]>:

>Hi all,
>
>    In newspapers, magazines, advertisements, etc.  I hear <something
>or the other> Dow.  There are a lot of "Dow" chemical companies.
.............

As a recent retiree from and consultant to the Dow Chemical Company, I will
try to give you a little information about the "Dows".

The headquarters of the Dow Chemical Company is in Midland, MI and where it
could be addressed for job inquiries is:

HR- Technical Recruiting
Dow Chemical Company
Employee Development Center
Midland, MI 48674.

This group recruits for Dow USA, Dow Plastics, and various divisions.
Midland, MI has Central Research and Michigan R&D.  This site has
activities on polymers, monomers, inorganic chemicals, organic chemicals,
and analytical methods.  There is an active computational chemistry and
engineering group.  Additional R&D and production sites for Dow USA are:

Dalton, GA: carpet backing.
Granville, OH: films and foam.
Freeport, TX: monomers, polymers, catalysts, inorganic and organic
chemicals, major research site including computational chemistry.
Plaquemine, LA: similar to Freeport but smaller.

Dow USA has recently undergone a downsizing and it is probable that hiring
will be slow next year.

Some other "Dows" are:

Dow Corning Corporation, Midland, MI:  A 50-50 joint venture between Dow
Chemical and Corning Glass companies.  This is an independent Fortune 100
company with its own board and direction. Its activities are in the
organo-silicon chemistry area including polymers, sealants, adhesives,
surfactants etc.

Marion Merrell Dow Inc.,  9300 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, MO 64114:  My
understanding is that this is a wholly owned but independent subsidiary of
Dow resulting from a combination of the pharmaceutical businesses acquired
>from Marion and Merrell with the Dow pharmaceutical business.  This is a
pharmaceutical company with R&D and mfg in MO and OH.  Computational
chemistry and drug modeling is included in their activities.

DowElanco, 4040 Vincennes Circle, PO Box 681428, Indianapolis, IN 46268:
This is a 70-30 joint venture between Dow and Eli Lilly and is an
independent subsidiary company with its own management.  It does mfg and
R&D on agricultural products.

DowBrands, Inc., Indianapolis, IN:  Mfg various consumer products,
cleansers, films, etc.

Essex Specialty Products, Inc., Clifton, NJ: Adhesive systems.

In addition there are global sites in Canada, Europe, Pacific, and South
America.

Hope this helps.

Lee Huber

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lee M. Huber                            e-mail: [email-masked]
HPC Management/NCSA                     voice:  217-244-4697
605 East Springfield Ave., 128CAB       fax:    217-244-4694
Champaign, IL 61820
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Shenkin)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 94 14:10:52 -0500

> From: [email-masked] (Lee Huber)

> try to give you a little information about the "Dows".
....
> Chemical and Corning Glass companies....

Now for a little bit on the Cornings.  Corning Glass has been a real
innovator in the glass industry.  In the 1930's, Corning scientists 
developed several new products made from glass, and commercialized 
them by means of joint venture:

	Owens-Corning:  joint venture with Owens-Illinois to 
	  commercialize fibrous glass ("Fibreglas", TM). I used to 
	  work for Owens-Corning (except I was an expert on asphalt --
	  don't ask; it's a long story. :-) )
	Dow-Corning: joint venture with Dow Chemical to commercialize
	  silicones (perhaps the original discoveries were due to
	  Dow in this case;  I don't know)
	Pittsburgh-Corning: joint venture with PPG (I think) to
	  commercialize foamed glass (used for high-temp. insulation;
	  made, I think, by dumping graphite into a glass melt, where 
	  it forms CO2;  hmmm -- there must be the equivalent of an
	  emulsifier to stabilize the foam....)

I think there was also a joint venture to commercialize those glass
bricks seen on the facades of art-deco buildings on the Grand
Concourse and West End Avenue, but if so, I don't know its name.

Of course, getting a little closer to home, Corning now owns Biosym, 
but this was an acquisition, not a joint venture.

	Yours in Corporate History,
	-P.

********** "Democracy:  The theory that the common people know what *********  
******** they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."  (Mencken) ********
Peter S. Shenkin, Box 768 Havemeyer Hall, Dept. of Chemistry, Columbia Univ.,
New York, NY  10027;     [email-masked];     (212) 854-5143

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Martin)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 94 14:13:19 -0800

Most of the "<something or the other> Dow's" are joint ventures (JV) or mergers
between Dow and other  companies.  For example, Dow-Corning is a JV with 
Corning.  DowElanco is a JV of Dow's and Lilly's agriculture departments 
(Elanco is an acrynim for Eli Lilly ANd CO).  Merrion-Merril-Dow is a merger of 
several small drug companies with Dow's pharma department.  Dow also has several
fairly independent "operating units" such as DowBrands that make household
products like Saran Wrap and Dow bathroom cleaner (scrubbing bubbles).  I think
Texsize (e.g. "Spot Lifter") might be part of DowBrands.  Dow Well made oil
drilling things, but I don't think they exist any more.  Each of these "Dow"s
is fairly autonomous, and Dow's main connection to them is owning lot's of equity.
I hope this helps.  Cheers,  -Eric