Subject: Summary of 1994 conferences list

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 15:37:13 -0800

Dear Netters,

	I have posed a question about 1994 conference information.
	Here is the summary that I have. Thanks for people who supplied
	me helpful informations. Sorry for the length of the summary!
	Happy new year! Wish you all enjoy your research!

>original question
>Dear Netters,
>
>I would like to get a list of 1994 conferences in molecular modeling.
>Is there any anonymous FTP site that I can get informations about 1994 
>conferences? I have tried anonymous-access FTP to CCSUN.UNICAMP.BR 
>(FTP diectory of Medical Informations and Computing Conferences) but
>failed.
>
>I am a postdoc doing research on CADD (computer aided drug design) with 
>DNA-Drug complex and would like to find out good conferences to present
>my results in 1994.
>
>I can summarize the answer if people are interested in the answers that I
>received. Thanks for your time in advance.

------------------------------------------------------
Line of [][][][][][][][][] separates the conferences according to the date.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: Hong Ma <[email-masked]>(Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 08:38:33)
Date:Monday, January 24, 1994

MOLECULAR MODELING WORKSHOP

Presented by MCNC's North Carolina Supercomputing
Program and Molecular Simulations, Inc.

     MCNC and Molecular Simulations, Inc. (MSI) are pleased to announce
     a workshop on molecular modeling. The workshop will involve hands-on
     training for QUANTA/CHARMm molecular modeling software. Techniques to
     be demonstrated include:

	 - Conformational Searching
	 - Homology Modeling
	 - Molecular Dynamics
	 - Development of QSAR Models

     QUANTA/CHARMm is an integrated program combining molecular graphics,
     construction and simulations, and simulated structural behavior of
     small and large molecular systems. QUANTA includes protein modeling
     and polymer dynamics packages as part of its core functionality and
     is fully integrated with the CHARMm computational program for molecular
     mechanics and dynamics.

     The workshop will be held Monday, January 24, 1994, from 8:45 a.m. to
     5:00 p.m. Seminar attendance is limited to 15 due to the number of
     workstations available in the MCNC training lab. Cancellations must be
     made at least two weeks prior to the seminar to receive a refund.
     Lunch will be provided. Registration is based upon receipt of payment
     and a completed registration form.

     To register for the course, complete the registration form attached
     and return it with a check or money order for $20.00 payable to MCNC to:

		 QUANTA/CHARMm Seminar
		 Attn. Linda Melville
		 North Carolina Supercomputing Program
		 P.O. Box 12889
		 Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2889

     For technical information concerning this presentation contact Hong Ma via
     e-mail ([email-masked]) or phone (919/248-1176).
     For registration information contact Linda Melville via e-mail
     ([email-masked]) or phone (919/248-1133).

     QUANTA and CHARMm are registered trademarks of Molecular Simulations Inc.

     REGISTRATION FORM

	 Name:

	 Organization:

	 Street:

	 City:     State:      Zip:

	 Telephone:

	 FAX:

	 E-mail:

	 Payment Method:   _____ Check or money order (make payable to MCNC)

			   _____ Purchase Order (please attach)

QUANTA and CHARMm are registered trademarks of Molecular Simulations Inc.

---Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
[email-masked] -- everyone     | [email-masked] -- coordinator
[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY  | Gopher: www.ccl.net (coming soon)
Anon. ftp www.ccl.net     | [email-masked] -- archive search

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: <[email-masked]>

Medicine Meets Virtual Reality II:  INTERACTIVE TECHNOLOGY AND HEALTHCARE:
VISIONARY APPLICATIONS FOR SIMULATION, VISUALIZATION, ROBOTICS
January 27-30, 1994, San Diego Marriott Hotel & Marina
Sponsored by UCSD, 23 hours Category 1 CME credit, $390 until December 31, $450
after, call 619/751-8841, fax 751-8842, or E-mail 70530,[email-masked] for
information

THURSDAY, January 27, three workshops offered simultaneously:
I.  BIOLOGICAL INFORMATICS, Hans B. Sieburg, Ph.D., Chair, Participants:
Sheldon Ball, Floyd Bloom, Michael Huerta, Ralph Martinez, Jack Park, Stella
Veretnik, W. Ziarko

II. MASSIVELY PARALLEL PROCESSING COMPUTERS FOR MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT
Makoto Nonaka, M.D., Ph.D., Chair, Participants:  Adrian King, Patrick Chang,
Michael Gribskov, Russ Altman, Tom Brotherton

III.INTERACTIVE TECHNOLOGIES IN HEALTHCARE:  THE "BIG PICTURE"
Dave Warner, Chair

FRIDAY, January 28

TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT: Who Will Pay and Why?  Diane S. Millman, J.D., Paul
Radensky, M.D., J.D., John E. Abele, Steven T. Charles, M.D., Mark Wiederhold,
M.D., Ph.D., Faina Shtern, M.D., Melvyn Greberman, M.D., MPH

DATA FUSION:  More Than the Sum of the Parts.  Don Stredney, Hans B. Sieburg,
Ph.D., Mark Wiederhold, M.D., Ph.D.

APPLICATIONS: New Visions for New Technologies.  Col. Richard M. Satava, M.D.,
Joseph M. Rosen, M.D., Harvey Eisenberg, M.D., Michael D. Doyle, Ph.D., Walter
J. Greenleaf, Ph.D., John P. Brennan, M.D., Kenneth Kaplan, Beth A. Marcus,
Ph.D., Suzanne Weghorst, Christopher C. Gallen, M.D., Ph.D.

SURGERY:  Images of the New Paradigm.  Glenn M. Preminger, M.D., John Flynn,
Adrie C.M. Dumay, Ph.D., David Hon, Jonathan R. Merril, M.D., Zoltan Szabo,
Ph.D., Michael Truppe, M.D., Patrick J. Kelly, M.D., Robert B. Lufkin, M.D.,
Leon Kaufman, Ph.D., Karun Shimoga, Ph.D., William E. Lorensen, Volker Urban,
M.D., P. Mayer, N. M. Huewel, M.D.

SATURDAY, January 29

EDUCATION AND TRAINING:  The Best and Highest Use.  J.K. Udupa, Ph.D., Richard
A. Robb, Ph.D., Jonathan Prince, D.D.S., Helene M. Hoffman, Ph.D., Michael J.
Ackerman, Ph.D.

INTERFACE:  Speaking the Same Language.  Nathaniel I. Durlach, Dave Warner, Col.
Richard M. Satava, M.D., Myron Krueger, Ph.D., Walter J. Greenleaf, Ph.D., Paul
Cutt, Narender P. Reddy, Ph.D., Scott Hassan, Alan Barnum-Scrivener, John
Peifer, M.A.

TELEROBOTICS:  Reach Out and Touch Something.  Ian Hunter, Ph.D., Paul S.
Schenker, Ph.D., Elmar H. Holler, Steven T. Charles, M.D., Bela L. Musits, Hugh
Lusted, Ph.D., Janez Funda, Ph.D., Yulun Wang, Ph.D.

SUBMITTED PAPERS:
Gabriele Faulkner, Ph.D., Uwe G. Kuehnapfel, Ph.D., Matthias Wapler, R. Bowen
Loftin, Ph.D., Jaren Parikh, Kurt R. Smith, D.Sc., Bruce Kall, M.S., Donald W.
Kormos, Ph.D., David W. Cloyd, M.D., Penny Jennett, Ph.D., Lauren Gabelman,
M.S., Joshua Lateiner, Anthony M. DiGioia III, M.D., Joseph B. Petelin, M.D.,
Timothy Poston, Erik Viirre, M.D., Ph.D., Mark Bolas, A. David Johnson, Ph.D.,
Brian D. Athey, Ph.D.

SUNDAY, January 30

TELEMEDICINE:  The Global Health Community.  Dave Warner, Michael F. Burrow, Jay
H. Sanders, M.D., Ralph Martinez, Ph.D., William J. Dallas, Ph.D., John D.
Hestenes, Ph.D., Rudy Mattheus, M.Sc., Georges J.E. De Moor, M.D., Jens P.
Christensen, M.SE., MBA

SUMMARY DISCUSSION:  Improving Quality, Continuity, and Access to Healthcare
While Reducing Cost.  Faina Shtern, M.D., Col. Richard M. Satava, M.D., Makoto
Nonaka, M.D., Ph.D., Nathaniel I. Durlach, John D. Hestenes, Ph.D., Rudy
Mattheus, M.Sc., Melvyn Greberman, M.D., MPH

EXHIBITS:  Advanced Visual Systems, Inc., Artma Biomedical, Inc., BioControl
Systems, Inc., Computer Motion, Inc., Dimension Technologies, Inc., Engineering
Animation, Inc., XTensory, Inc., High Techsplanations, Inc., Image Technology
Associates, Inc., Immersion Corp., IVI Publishing, IXION, Kaiser Medical Optics,
Inc., Shooting Star Technology, Silicon Graphics, Inc., SONY Medical Systems,
Inc., Stealth Technologies, Inc., Pixys, Inc., Virtual Vision

---Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
[email-masked] -- everyone     | [email-masked] -- coordinator
[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY  | Gopher: www.ccl.net (port 70 or 73)
Anon. ftp www.ccl.net     | [email-masked] -- archive search

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: [email-masked] (Adi Treasurywala)( Date: Mon, 4 Oct 93 15:51:42)
Date: Monday Feb 21 to Friday Feb 25 1994

		FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT 

		FOURTH BIENNIAL WORKSHOP ON 
	MOLECULAR MECHANICS AND MOLECULAR DYNAMICS
Place: The Supercomputer Computations Research Institute,
       Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida

Plenary Speaker who have accepted invitations so far:

D.L.Beveridge			Jack Dunitz

Thomas Halgran			Warren Hehre

Kendall Houk			Adi Treasurywala

Invited Speakers who have accepted invitations so far:

J.E.Anderson, J.Phillip Bpwen, Helena Dodzuik, Frank Leusen,
Wayne Mattice, Dora Schnur, Terry Stouch, S.Swaminathan,
Henk van der Plas, Bastian van de Graaf, David M. Gagne, David C. Doherty, Douglas A. Smith, Hubert Bodot.

TOPICS: New developments in the quantitative computational modeling of
molecular structure, molecular dynamics, energies (thermodynamics)
including solvent effects, polymers, including biopolymers, inorganic
systems. It is expected that the studies will reflect new approaches in
the use of molecular mechanics or molecular dynamics rather than
applications of well-developed techniques. Developments in the use of
ab initio calculations in modeling are appropriate.

PROGRAM: Monday evening: Reception.
         Tuesday through Friday noon: Scientific sessions
	 Tuesday through Thursday: Vendor exhibits combined with
	 electronic posters (see below)

POSTERS: Contributed conventional posters will be displayed.

ELECTRONIC POSTER SESSION:Please send all requests to take part in this
new event no later than October 31 1993 to

Adi M Treasurywala,Sterling Winthrop Inc,1250 South Collegeville Road,
PO Box 5000, Collegeville, PA 19426-0900,Voice (215)983-6610 FAX
(215)983-5559, INTERNET [email-masked]
stating the software, hardware and approximate time requirements.

ALL OTHER INQUIRES TO 
DELOS DETAR,
DEPT. OF CHEMISTRY,
FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY,
TALLAHASSEE FL 32306-3006
TEL (904)644-3709.
FAX (904)644-8281
[email-masked]

Acceptance cannot be guaranteed. Deadline January15 1994.

CONTRIBUTED TALKS: A few additional contributed talks may be accomodated.

FEES: The workshop fee is $350 ($325 if received before January 15
1994). For those whose talks/posters have been accepted the fees will
be $250. Student rate $150. Fees will cover a hospitality reception on
March 26 continental breakfasts 4 days lunches 3 days coffee breaks and
conference banquet.

Registration Form
Molecular Mechanics and Molecular Dynamics 1994
Program # 1902994

To register, please complete this form and mail it with your payment (checks 
made payable to Florida State University) to:  Conference Registrar, Florida 
State Conference Center, Florida State University, Tallahassee FL  32306-2027.  
For registration information, please call 904-644-3806.  For information about 
the program, please call Pat Meredith at 904-644-1866, or by e-mail at 
[email-masked]..  

Name:____________________________________
Social security #: _______________________(This is not essential, but will speed 
the process if you require a reimbursement of fees)
Organization: _________________________________________
Address: _____________________________________________
         _________________________________________________
Phone:  ______________________
Fees:  $325 before January 15, 1994
   	$350 after January 15, 1994
   	$150 for students
   	$250 for those whose contributed talks or posters are accepted
I wish to pay my fee of $______by ___MasterCard, or ___Visa
Acct. # _________________________     Exp. Date ________________
Signature: __________________________________________
Please note, the university adds a 2% service fee for credit card payments

---
Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
[email-masked] --- everyone      [email-masked] --- coordinator
[email-masked]  send help from chemistry            Anon. ftp www.ccl.net
[email-masked] --- search the archives, read help.search file first
---

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: [email-masked] (Kevin P. Cross Ext. 3192)(Date: Wed, 1 Sep 93 20:46:23)
Date: March 13-18, 1994.

American Chemical Society Meeting, Scientific Visualization and Multimedia

Place:	San Diego, CA

Purpose:  To highlight recent applications of scientific visualization or
		multi-media methods towards solving chemical problems of
		commercial or academic interest.  Emphasis will be placed on
		molecular modeling and computational chemistry.

Format:  The organizers particularly encourage presentations illustrating the
		application of visualization and multi-media methods to solve
		specific chemical structure problems.  Presentations which
		describe general methods for appropriately applying
		visualization methods are also welcome.  Users of commercial
		products describing visualization of their research are
		welcome.

Sponsor:  The Computers in Chemistry Division of the American Chemical Society.
	       The symposium will be part of the COMP division program at the
	       Spring (March 13-18) 1994 meeting of the American Chemical
	       Society in San Diego, CA.

This is an invited symposium but their are a limited number of openings for
additional speakers available.
Please submit a draft of proposed to topics to one of the organizers by September
30th.

Organizers:

    Kevin P. Cross                James W. Cooper               Weige Xue
    Chemical Abstracts Service    IBM Research Division         Autodesk
    P.O. Box 3012                 T. J. Watson Research Center  2320 Marinship Way
    2540 Olentangy River Road     Yorktown Heights, New York    Sausalito, CA
    Columbus, OH 43210            10598                         94565
    [email-masked]                [email-masked]         [email-masked]

		-------CALL FOR ABSTRACTS-------
                ----------SECOND NOTICE---------

Announcing a call for abstracts for a symposium to be held at the National 
Meeting of the American Chemical Society in San Diego, CA, March 13-18,1994 
entitled:

From: "Joseph J. Urban" <[email-masked]>(Date:Tue, 21 Sep 93 12:36:44)
		"COMPUTATIONAL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY"

SPONSORS: ACS Divisions of Computers in Chemistry and Organic Chemistry

CHAIRS: K.N. Houk (UCLA) and  J.J. Urban (US Army ERDEC)

FEATURED SPEAKERS WILL INCLUDE:
N. L. Allinger 	U. of Georgia
R. Bader	McMaster Univ.
C. Cramer	Univ. of Minnesota
J. Damewood	Zeneca Pharmaceuticals
G. Frenking	Marburg
J. Gao		SUNY, Buffalo
W. Jorgensen	Yale
J.A. McCammon	Houston
Q. McDonald	Columbia
L. Radom	Canberra
D. Salahub	Montreal
T. Stouch	Bristol Myers-Squibb
and many more...

TO SUBMIT AN ABSTRACT:

Send 4 copies of a 150-word abstract (original on ACS abstract form) 
by Oct. 29, 1993 to one of the chairmen:

J.J. Urban
U.S. Army Edgewood Research, Development & Engineering Center
SCBRD-RTC (Bldg. E3160)
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21010-5423
410-671-3332

K.N. Houk
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
University of California, Los Angeles
405 Hilgard Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90024-1569

---
Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
[email-masked] --- everyone      [email-masked] --- coordinator
[email-masked]  send help from chemistry            Anon. ftp www.ccl.net
[email-masked] --- search the archives, read help.search file first
---

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Date: Mar. 13-18, 1994

207th American Chemical Society Meeting,San Diego, CA.

Conference: Application of Computer-Aided Molecular Design in Chemicals,
Materials, and Pharmaceuticals. Contact CHuck Reynolds, Rohm & Haas Co,
727 Norristown Rd. Spring House, PA 19477 (215-283-2315),
e-mail:[email-masked]
or
Kate Holloway, Bldg. 42-3, Merck Research Labs, West Point, PA 19486,
ph. 215-652-7425), e-mail: [email-masked]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Date: April 10-15, 1994

The 35th ENC Experimental Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Conference

Place: The Asilomar Conference Center, Pacific Grove, California
Deadline:Jan, 7,1994
Registration: ENC Registration, 815 Don Gaspar Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Date: Apr. 27 - 29, 1994

15th Annual West Coast Theoretical Chemistry Conference

Place:Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, California
This is the preliminary announcement of the West Coast Theoretical
Chemistry Conference (WCTCC).  The WCTCC brings together theoretical
chemists with a wide range of interests including quantum chemistry,
classical and quantum dynamics, and statistical mechanics.  The
conference is organized into five sessions, each with an invited
speaker and several short contributed talks.  Additionally there will
be two extended poster sessions, a banquet, and a conference
reception.  Participation by students and post-docs is especially
encouraged.  Limited funds will be available to help with their
conference expenses.

The 1994 WCTCC invited speakers are:
    Prof. Jan Almlof, Univ. Minnesota
    Prof. William Hase, Wayne State Univ.
    Prof. Toshiko Ichiye, Washington State Univ.
    Prof. Peter Kollman, Univ. Calif., San Francisco
    Prof. Doreen Leopold, Univ. Minnesota

For a conference registration form, please send your name, address,
and email address to Dr. Michael Colvin, Sandia National Laboratories
via email ([email-masked]) or fax (510-294-2234).  Registration
materials will be sent out in early January.  If you have additional
questions about the conference, please phone Dr. Celeste Rohlfing,
Sandia National Laboratories at (510) 294-2763.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: <[email-masked]>
Date:24-28 April 1994

FIRST WORLD CONGRESS ON COMPUTATIONAL MEDICINE, PUBLIC
	     HEALTH, AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
Place:Hyatt Regency Hotel, Austin, Texas

Due to a confusion in the electronic distribution of
the congress announcement and deadlines, as well as 
incorrect deadlines appearing in a number of society
newsletters and journals, we are extending the abstract
submission deadline for this congress to 31 December 1993.
We apologize to those who were confused over the differing
deadline announcements and hope that this change will
allow everyone to participate. For congress details:

To contact the congress organizers for any reason use any of the
following pathways:

ELECTRONIC MAIL - [email-masked]

FAX (USA)       - (512) 471-2445

PHONE (USA)     - (512) 471-2472

GOPHER: log into the University of Texas System-CHPC
select the Computational Medicine and Allied Health
menu choice

ANONYMOUS FTP: ftp.chpc.utexas.edu
	     cd /pub/compmed94
	(all documents and forms are stored here)

POSTAL:
            Compmed 1994
      University of Texas System CHPC
            Balcones Research Center
            10100 Burnet Road, 1.154CMS
            Austin, Texas 78758-4497

SUBMISSION PROCEDURES: Authors must submit 5
copies of a single-page 50-100 word abstract clearly
discussing the topic of their presentation. In
addition, authors must clearly state their choice of
poster, contributed paper, tutorial, exhibit, focused
workshop or birds of a feather group along with a
discussion of their presentation. Abstracts will be
published as part of the preliminary conference
material. To notify the congress organizing committee
that you would like to participate and to be put on
the congress mailing list, please fill out and return
the form that follows this announcement.  You may use
any of the contact methods above. If you wish to
organize a contributed paper session, tutorial
session, focused workshop, or birds of a feather
group, please contact the conference director at
[email-masked] . The abstract may be submitted
electronically to  [email-masked]  or
by mail or fax. There is no official format.

If you need further details, please contact me.

Matthew Witten
Congress Chair
[email-masked]

---Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
[email-masked] -- everyone     | [email-masked] -- coordinator
[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY  | Gopher: www.ccl.net (coming soon)
Anon. ftp www.ccl.net     | [email-masked] -- archive search

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: "DR. DOUGLAS A. SMITH, UNIVERSITY OF TOLEDO" <[email-masked]>
Date: May 2-4, 1994

	The AVS '94 International User Group Conference 
Place: Boston, MA.  

Among the many technical and developers tracks,
there is a general track being chaired by Doug Smith.  The six talks which
have been accepted for this track are:

1.  Visualizing  Properties of Atomic and Molecular Systems  in  AVS,
    Ken Flurchick, Lee Bartolotti and Mark Reed
2.  Visualizing   Time   Dependant  Data  from   Molecular   Dynamics
    Simulations using AVS, Upul Obeysekare, Chas Williams and Robert 
    Rosenberg
3.  A  Visualization Environment for Atomic Arrangement and Materials
    Design, Dr. S. A. Khaddai Blackett
4.  Quasicrystal  Modeling  Using  AVS  Takashi  Soma  and   Yasunari
    Watanabe
5.  Processing and Visualization of Infared Images, Dr Yeng Bun
6.  Visualization of Thermodynamic Properties of Gases, Mark Reed and
    Ken Flurchick

	Poster presentations are currently being solicited and reviewed for
acceptance.  For more information on submitting a poster or for information
about the conference in general, contact me via any of the means below.

Douglas A. Smith
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry
 and member,
Center for Drug Design and Development
The University of Toledo
Toledo, OH  43606-3390

voice    419-537-2116
fax      419-537-4033
email    [email-masked]

---Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
[email-masked] -- everyone     | [email-masked] -- coordinator
[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY  | Gopher: www.ccl.net (port 70 or 73)
Anon. ftp www.ccl.net     | [email-masked] -- archive search

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: [email-masked]
Date: May 21 - 25, 1994

2nd Canadian Computational Chemistry Conference
Deuxieme Conference Canadienne en Chimie Computationelle

Place: Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada

     This is the first announcement of the 2nd C54 and the first call
for contributed papers and posters.  The C54 brings together
Computational Chemists from academia, government, and industry from
around the world for the purpose of exchanging new ideas, methods, and
techniques for the advancement of Computational Chemistry.  The program
is divided into four general subject areas:
       Applications of Computational Chemistry:
             Biological, Pharmaceutical, Materials Science, and Chemical
       Electronic Structure Computations:
             Density Functional Theory and Ab Initio Methods
       Collision and Dynamics Computations
       Current and Future Trends
The conference will consist of invited talks, contributed talks and
poster sessions.  As well, there will be equipment and software vendor
exhibits.  Preliminary estimates of registration costs are:
 Plan A:   $335.00 (CDN)  includes accommodation (4 nights), breakfasts,
                         lunches and coffee breaks
 Plan B:   $200.00 (CDN)  includes lunches and coffee breaks
Final costs may vary slightly and will be quoted in the second
announcement.  The Plan A accommodation consists of a single room
in the university residence.  Hotels and restaurants are within
walking distance.  Participation by post-doctoral fellows and
graduate students is especially encouraged.  Kingston is accessible
by plane, train, and bus directly from Toronto and Montreal.  For a
conference registration form and/or further information, send your
name, address, and email address to:
          Dr. Ken Edgecombe
          Dept. of Chemistry           [email-masked]
          Queen's University
          Kingston, Ontario            FAX (613) 545-6669
          Canada   K7L 3N6

     Organizing Committee for the 2nd C54:
     A. D. Becke, K. E. Edgecombe, V. H. Smith, Jr., D. M. Wardlaw,
  D. F. Weaver, Dept. of Chem., Queen's University

               --------------------------------------

Name: ..............................................................
Address: ...........................................................
         ...........................................................
         ...........................................................
e-mail: ............................................................

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Date: May, 23-27, 1994

First European Conference on Computational Chemistry
Place:Nancy, France
Fax:(33) 43 31 59 45

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: <[email-masked]>(Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 10:06:05)
Date: May 29-June 3, 1994

NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS WORKSHOP FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHERS  
Place:Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  
Deadline:March 31, 1994.
  
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) is offering a five-day workshop on
"Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis," May 29-June 3, 1994.  It is  
funded by a grant from the National Center for Human Genome Research of 
the National Institutes of Health.     
  
The workshop will familiarize biomedical researchers with computational  
methods and provide practice in applying supercomputing resources to
problems of concern in macromolecular sequence analysis.  Emphasis will be
on alignment of and pattern extraction from multiple sequences.   
Participants will gain practical experience on PSC's Cray C-90 and T3D in 
(1) comparing and aligning sequences, (2) identifying informative patterns 
in a set of sequences, and (3) using extracted informative patterns to 
identify related sequences.  Researchers will also learn several approaches 
to database searching and  multiple sequence alignment, how to use profile 
analysis effectively, and how to identify patterns in their sequences.   
Participants are encouraged to bring sequence analysis problems from their 
current research.  Extensive documentation will be given at the outset on 
the VAX/VMS and UNICOS operating systems as well as on the specific programs
to be employed in the workshop.  No prior supercomputing experience is 
required.
    
Workshop leaders are Dr. Gary Churchill, Cornell University, and Dr. Michael 
Gribskov, San Diego Supercomputing Center.
  
A limited number of grants to cover travel and hotel accommodations are
available for U.S. academic participants.  ALL PARTICIPANTS ARE REQUIRED 
TO PAY A $135 REGISTRATION FEE UPON ACCEPTANCE INTO THE WORKSHOP.  The 
deadline for submitting applications is March 31, 1994.  Enrollment is
limited to 20 participants.  An application form is below.  
   
Grants of supercomputing time to allow biomedical researchers to explore the 
appropriateness of supercomputing for their computational problems are 
available through a program funded by the Biomedical Research Technology 
Program, National Center for Research Resources, National Institutes of Health.

				      * * * * *

			  PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
                     NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS 
                        WORKSHOP FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHERS
                                May 29-June 3, 1994 

		                   APPLICATION

Name:	       ________________________________________________________________

Affiliation:   ________________________________________________________________

Address:       ________________________________________________________________
	       (Business)
	       ________________________________________________________________

	       ________________________________________________________________
	       (Home)
	       ________________________________________________________________

Telephone:  ____________________________         ______________________________
	           (Business)				     (Home)

*Social Security Number:  _______-_____-_______	Citizenship:___________________

Electronic Mail Address:_______________________________________________________

Status: ___Graduate  ___Post-doctoral Fellow  ___Faculty  ___Other (specify)

In order to attend the workshop, will you need funds for travel?___ lodging?___

Please indicate specifically any special housing, transportation or dietary 
arrangements you will need: __________________________________________

How did you learn about this workshop:_________________________________________

REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants must submit a completed application form and a cover letter.  The
letter should describe, in one or two paragraphs, the sequence analysis 
problems encountered in your research, and how participating in the workshop 
will enhance this research.  Please include a brief statement describing your 
level of experience with computers.  Faculty members, staff and post-docs 
should provide a curriculum vita.  Graduate students must have a letter 
of recommendation from a faculty member. If you have requested travel funds, 
please include the cost of roundtrip air fare from your home to Pittsburgh and 
indicate the amount of travel funds you will need. ALL PARTICIPANTS WILL BE 
REQUIRED TO PAY A $135 REGISTRATION FEE UPON ACCEPTANCE INTO THE WORKSHOP.

Please return all application materials by MARCH 31, 1994 to:

  Biomedical Workshop Applications Committee
  Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
  4400 Fifth Avenue
  Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Direct inquiries to: Nancy Blankenstein, 412/268-4960, or send electronic mail
to [email-masked].

*Disclosure of Social Security Number is voluntary.

PSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age,
creed, national or ethnic origin, or handicap.

---Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
[email-masked] -- everyone     | [email-masked] -- coordinator
[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY  | Gopher: www.ccl.net (port 70 or 73)
Anon. ftp www.ccl.net     | [email-masked] -- archive search

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in May.
Being held in Washington , DC.  Telephone 301-530-7010 (FASEB)
for info.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: Andrzej Sokalski <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 23-26, 1994
                        FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT
                         3-rd Conference
           COMPUTERS IN CHEMISTRY '94 (June 23-26, 1994)
                         covering sessions
                                on
               CHEMOMETRICS IN ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
     COMPUTERS IN CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY AND CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
                  COMPUTERS IN CHEMICAL EDUCATION
                        MOLECULAR GRAPHICS
                   EXPERT SYSTEMS AND DATABASES
                     and other related topics

                            including

                            Workshop on
COMPUTATIONAL METHODS FOR LARGE MOLECULAR SYSTEMS (June 25 - 26 1994)
(satellite event of 8th International Congress of Quantum Chemistry
 in Prag, Czech Republic)
                           Organized by
                  Technical University of Wroclaw
                       University of Wroclaw

Place: The conference will be held in Wroclaw,  major  city  in
southwestern Poland  (Lower  Silesia).  Wroclaw  is  connected  by
direct flights with Warsaw, Frankfurt  and Dsseldorf as  well  as
by train and bus transportation with other major European cities.

About the conference
  Previous conferences COMPUTERS IN CHEMISTRY were held in Wroclaw
in 1986 and 1988. The conference in 1994 will cover all aspects of
computer applications in chemistry and related  sciences  focusing
on review of recent software and  hardware  developments  in  this
rapidly expanding interdisciplinary field  as  well  as   teaching
computational chemistry.  Student  presentations  are  encouraged.
Commercial hardware and software presentations are  being  planned
too.

Proceedings  : Abstracts of all contributions will be printed   in
conference materials.
   Original scientific contributions will be published in  special
issue  of  international  journal  COMPUTERS  &   CHEMISTRY.   The
manuscripts should be submitted during first day of the conference
at the registration desk. The manuscripts will follow the  regular
editorial  and  refereeing  procedure.   COMPUTERS   &   CHEMISTRY
publishes  papers  on  theoretical   and   experimental   research
representing  developments  in  the  application  of   information
sciences, particularly computers  and  computational  methods,  to
diverse problems addressed in all branches of  chemistry.  Besides
research  papers  also  application/software  notes  or   software
reviews are acceptable for publication in COMPUTERS & CHEMISTRY

******************************************************************
WORKSHOP ON COMPUTATIONAL  METHODS  FOR LARGE MOLECULAR SYSTEMS
                     Wroclaw, June 25-26, 1994

part of the 3-rd conference "COMPUTERS IN CHEMISTRY"
                                and
Satellite Symposium  of  8th  International  Congress  of  Quantum
Chemistry (possible microbus  transportation  from   Prague   to
           Wroclaw on June 24, 1994)

      This  workshop  organized  in  collaboration  with  National
Institute of Standards and  Technology  and  Center  for  Advanced
Research in Biotechnology in Gaithersburg, MD, USA is  devoted  to
review recent progress in development of quantum chemical  methods
for modelling large molecular  systems.  Many  chemical  processes
important for  biotechnology  or  materials  science  can  not  be
modelled now at molecular  level  due  to  the  extensive  size of
molecular  systems   involved   or   unsufficient   precision   of
contemporary computational methods. Therefore development  of  new
methods and techniques extending existing boundaries for  modeling
may open new avenues for rational design of new  biocatalysts  and
new materials with desired properties. Bringing  together  several
leading scientists having important contributions  in  this  field
should  open  the  possibility  to  initiate  or  expand   ongoing
collaborations, create future joint  projects  including  academic
and commercial sector and introduce graduate  students  into  this
rapidly growing field. Planned lectures will  cover  among  others
following  topics:   model   potentials   and   reaction   fields,
applications of local density functionals  in  modelling  chemical
reactions, direct SCF,  MP2  methods,  molecular  frozen  fragment
approach, treatment of relativistic effects, multicenter multipole
expansions,  design   of   optimal   catalysts,  modeling  protein
folding  etc.
   Refereed contributions will be published in  special  issue  of
international journal COMPUTERS & CHEMISTRY.

Preliminary registration form:
[  ] I wish to receive the Second Circular
[  ] I intend to attend the entire Conference (June 23-26, 1994)
[  ] I intend to attend the workshop only (June 25-26, 1994)
[  ] I wish to present an oral contribution
[  ] I wish to present a poster
[  ] I wish to demonstrate a program
     name of the hardware/software platform.........................
[  ] I plan to submit a manuscript for publication in
     Computers & Chemistry
Tentative Title of the Contribution:
..................................................................
..................................................................
..................................................................
First name.....................
Last Name .....................
Title..........................
Institution...............................................
..................................................................
Postal address for correspondence
.................................................................
..................................................................
Electronic mail:
FAX
Telephone
Date

Please respond until November 30, 1993 to :

COMPUTERS IN CHEMISTRY
W. Andrzej Sokalski - Conference Secretary
Wroclaw Technical University I-30, room 314 A-3
Wyb. Wyspianskiego 27, 50-370 WROCLAW, POLAND

e-mail: [email-masked]
FAX  (+48)-(71)-223664
tel. (+48)-(71)-202894, 202457

---
Administrivia: This message is automatically appended by the mail exploder:
[email-masked] --- everyone      [email-masked] --- coordinator
[email-masked]  send help from chemistry            Anon. ftp www.ccl.net
[email-masked] --- search the archives, read help.search file first
---

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Date: Sept. 4 - 9, 1994

There is also the main European Structure-Activity meeting in Barcelona
Sept 4-9 1994 (contact: [email-masked]).  

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Date: Oct. 30 - Nov. 1, 1994

NMR as a Structural Tool for Macromolecules:current status and future directions

Place: Indiana University -Purdue Unversity Indianapolis

Deadline: Aug,1 , 1994

Tel:(317)278-1263
FAX:(317)274-2393
e-mail:[email-masked]
Information from Uli who has the application form
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Date: Dec. 17-21, 1994

There is a Eurasia conference in Kuala Lumpur 17-21 December 1994.It will have 
sessions on drug design and comp chem.  It is sponsored by the Federation of 
Asian Chemical Societies and the Federation of European Chemical Societies. 
(contact: IKM fax 60-3-7189909)  There are some lovely reorts nearby (eg the 
Sheraton on the island of Langkawi) for after the conference (I just came back 
>from doing a similar thing!)

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Date: Jun or July (date to be announced), 1995

There is also an international molecular design meeting in Queensland
Australia  (near the Great barrier Reef) in mid 1995.  It will be sponsored
by the US and  European Molecular Graphics Societies (the 1994 meeting is
in Chicago in July  1994) and the Royal Australian Chemical Institute
(contact: me or Peter Andrews:  [email-masked]).

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: 15-Dec-1993 1001 <[email-masked]>

One source is Chemical Design Automation News which gets published once a
month.  Telephone is 617-438-8464 (Stoneham, MA).  They keep a pretty good
list, but it is by no means complete.

Other good sources would be societies related to your field.

Suggestions:

	This Spring's ACS is having a lot of molecular modeling sessions, 
	but it may be too late for you to get in.  Tom Ferrin, in the CGL, 
	is giving a talk there I believe.  Tom is at UCSF.  You might talk
	to him.

	American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in May.
	Being held in Washington , DC.  Telephone 301-530-7010 (FASEB) 
	for info.

	Application of Computer-aided Molecualr Design in Chemicals,
	Materials, and Pharmaceuticals in San Diego (held during ACS in
	San Diego (March 13-18)

	Biophysical Society Meeting in March in New Orleans

	Computational Biology Mtg in Texas (April 24-26)

		Bill DeSimone
		Education & Research Business Unit
		Molecular Sciences
		DEC

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: (Dr.) Dave Winkler <[email-masked]>

There is a Eurasia conference in Kuala Lumpur 17-21 December 1994.  It will have 
sessions on drug design and comp chem.  It is sponsored by the Federation of 
Asian Chemical Societies and the Federation of European Chemical Societies. 
(contact: IKM fax 60-3-7189909)  There are some lovely reorts nearby (eg the 
Sheraton on the island of Langkawi) for after the conference (I just came back 
>from doing a similar thing!)

There is also an international molecular design meeting in Queensland Australia 
(near the Great barrier Reef) in mid 1995.  It will be sponsored by the US and 
European Molecular Graphics Societies (the 1994 meeting is in Chicago in July 
1994) and the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (contact: me or Peter Andrews: 
[email-masked]).  There is also the main European Structure-Activity 
meeting in Barcelona Sept 4-9 1994 (contact: [email-masked]).  I went to the one 
last year in Strasbourg and thought it was pretty good.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
From: Wolfgang Sauer <[email-masked]>
Dear Dr. Yate-Ching Yuan,

sorry for taking so long, but our department just moved to new premises.
A good source for info about upcoming conferences are the apropriate sections
of "Chemical Design Application News" and the "Journal of Molecular Graphics".

A few that I have on my notebook are the following:
Verbier			Rezeptorforschungi(receptor research)	10.-14.4.
Zuerich			Lock & Key		15.-16.4.
Kingston, Ontario	Computerchemie		21.-25.5.
Nancy,France			Computerchemie		23.-27.5.
Lawrence, Kansas	Macrocycles		12.-17.6.
Prag			Quantenchemie		19.-23.6.
Birmingham		Recognition		24.-29.7.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][]   End of Summary [][][][][][][][][][][][][]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Yate-Ching Yuan C/O Thomas James
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry  Tel.      415-476-4378
Mail Stop 0446                          Fax       415-476-0688
University of California                internet: [email-masked] 
San Francisco, CA 94143-0446            bitnet: [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------