Subject: Warning messages when compiling INTERCHEM

From: "CBAS25 ::P_BLADON ::CBAS25" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 94 1:15 GMT

Compiling INTERCHEM on SGI machines

Since the introduction of the 3.5.1 version of the fortran compiler,
there has been a problem in that certain parts of the library have been
offered twice over at the linkin stage, first as /usrlib/libX11_s.a and then 
as /usr/lib/libmpc.a, thus causing the second type of warning message reported
by Dr. Juan Frau.
The messages are warnings only and the compiled code should be there and
work correctly (as pointed out by Harry).  The warnings can be avoided if
the following script is used for compilation:-

 mkf2c message.c message.s;
 f77  -Nc40  -col120 -o inter \
 sysmain57.f sysmenu57.f sysgeom57.f sysdisp57.f\
 sysbuld57.f sysener57.f sysprot57.f syssurf57.f\
 sysmerg57.f syspred57.f sysdriv57.f sysconn57.f\
 syschir57.f syschem57.f syscrys57.f syswind57.f\
 sysseri57.f \
 -lmpc -lsphere -lm -lfgl -lgl_s\            <<<<< note addition of -lmpc
 message.s message.c -lfm_s -lgl_s 

(Substitute "56" for "57" if you have the earlier version of source code).

I am not sure whether the first type of warning message is cured by this,
because I have not encountered it.

The same sort of problems arose in other fortran programs which used the
graphics library, and these were cured in a similar manner.

I hope that this helps anyone else who has this problem; it does highlight
the perennial trouble that occurs when SGI comes out with new versions of
software.  (Sorry SGI folks)

Peter Bladon