Subject: Rasmol

From: [email-masked] (Peter Shenkin)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 12:11:38 -0500

I mentioned Rasmol, a protein visualization program, in a recent
posting.

A couple of days ago I received email asking how to get the program.
Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted the email.  So I'm replying
as best I can to the list;  hopefully more than one person will
be interested.

Going into our local archives and looking at the documentation, the 
most I can say is that the authorship is as follows:

	Copyright (C) 1993 by Roger Sayle ([email-masked])

The program comes from the University of Edinburgh.  I don't
know if it's ftp-able from the above host;  perhaps someone with
more precise information can follow-up.

Thanks (or Sorry, as the case may be :-) ),

	-P.

********** "Democracy:  The theory that the common people know what *********
******** they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."  (Mencken) ********
Peter S. Shenkin, Box 768 Havemeyer Hall, Dept. of Chemistry, Columbia Univ.,
New York, NY  10027;     [email-masked];     (212) 854-5143

---

From: [email-masked] (Teerakiat Kerdcharoen)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 1994 20:32:38 +0100 (NFT)

Dear Netters,
	This may help for one who wants the information about RasMol.
							Teerakiat
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teerakiat Kerdcharoen (NOY)

Institute of General and Inorganic and Theoretical Chemistry
Innrain 52a, A-6020 Innsbruck AUSTRIA
e-mail:  [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked] 
      :  [email-masked], [email-masked] ( Bangkok )
Research :  Molecular Dynamics simulations
         :  Computer Aided Molecular/Material Designs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++  informations here  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                            RasMol 2.1
              Molecular Graphics Visualisation tool.

                           Roger Sayle 
		    Biocomputing Research Unit
                     University of Edinburgh
                           June 1993

    This posting is to announce the public release of the RasMol 2.1,
molecular graphics visualisation program. The package has been developed 
in the BRU over the last few years, and following the recent collapse of
commercialisation negotiations is now being offered FREE!!  It was claimed
in a recent conference to be the fastest available uniprocessor program
for drawing shadowed spacefilled molecules. On a SparcStation it can shadow
a 10,000 atom protein in less than 10 seconds.

    RasMol is an X Window System tool intended for the visualisation of 
proteins and nucleic acids. It reads Brookhaven Protein Databank (PDB) 
files and interactively renders them in a variety of formats on either an 
8bit or 24bit colour display. The complete source code and user documentation 
for both the UNIX/X11 version and the IBM PC/MS Windows 3.1 version may be 
obtained by anonymous ftp as RasMol2.tar.Z from ftp.dcs.ed.ac.uk 
[129.215.160.5] in the directory /pub/rasmol. A compressed version of the 
PostScript user reference is also available in the same directory as 
rasmol.ps.Z.

    The program is intended for teaching and generating publication 
quality images. The program has both a menu system and a full featured
command line interface. Different parts and representations of the 
molecule may be coloured or displayed in a number of formats independently.
Currently supported formats include wireframe, ball and stick, backbone
and space filling spheres. The space filling spheres may even be shadowed.
The molecule may be manipulated using scroll bars, the command line or 
>from a dials box if attached. The resulting image may be saved at any
point in PostScript, GIF, PPM, Sun rasterfile or Microsoft BMP formats.
For more details see the RasMol user reference.

    The current version of the program has been tested on sun3, sun4, hp9000,
sequent and mips (dec,sgi and E&S) machines compiled under both gcc and the 
native compiler. The version for Microsoft Windows requires version 7
of the Microsoft Optimizing C Compiler and the SDK. Binaries for the IBM PC
and compatibles will be made available if there is sufficient interest.

    The source code is public domain and available under the terms of the
GNU public license agreement. Any comments, suggestions or questions about
the package may be directed to "[email-masked]".

-- 
Roger Sayle                        JANET: [email-masked]
Department of Computer Science     UUCP:  ..!mcsun!uknet!dcs!ros
University of Edinburgh            ARPA:  [email-masked]
Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, UK.             Tel:   (+44) 031 650 5163 (direct line)

---

From: [email-masked] (Teerakiat Kerdcharoen)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 1994 20:35:41 +0100 (NFT)

Dear Netters,
	This may helps for one who wants the information about RasMol.
						Teerakiat
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teerakiat Kerdcharoen (NOY)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++  information here ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                            RasMol 2.1

                           Roger Sayle