Subject: New Chemistry Gopher Site in Operation

From: [email-masked] (Steven Bachrach)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 94 09:34:24 -0600

Hello Chem-Netters,

I recently received a Camille and Henry Dreyfus Chemical Informatics
Award to study the possibility of using a gopher site on the
Internet to distribute chemical information. I would like
to announce that the Northern Illinois University Chemical Gopher
Site is now in operation.

For those of you not familiar with gopher, it is a front-end 
program to the internet that makes access to the Internet
particularly painless. Addresses and ftp protocols are handled
transparently so that the user does not need to understand much, if 
anything about the Internet. The gopher client is available on a
variety of platforms from boombox.micro.umn.edu in the 
/pub/gopher directory.

Access to the NIU Chemistry Gopher is obtained by pointing your
client at hackberry.chem.niu.edu port 70 or through the listing
of all gophers maintained at the University of Minnesota. 

Please feel free to poke around our site. We have placed some 
information on the gopher, including conference information,
software information, and access site to other chemistry information 
on the Internet. If you have information you would like to add,
such as an announcment of an upcoming meeting or new software,
please email the announcement to me at [email-masked].
If you have any suggestions, complaints, or problems, send me 
a note at the same address.

This is an experimental site, meaning that we will be adding new
features in the future. Some plans include a chemistry email
phone book, MSDS databases, electronic conferencing, and a
preprint archive. I will post new features of the Gopher Site to 
this list as needed.

Thanks for your interest.
Steven Bachrach
Department of Chemistry
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, Il 60115
[email-masked]