Subject: Electronic Databases

From: [email-masked] (Carolyn Poage)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 10:25:17 -0600

Greetings:

We would like to know what electronically available databases you are using
in your field. 

The Institute of Latin American Studies (ILAS), University of Texas at
Austin, has developed a directory of information publically available on
the Internet called the Latin American Network Information Center
(UT-LANIC).

UT-LANIC objectives are to provide Latin American and all other users with
access to academic databases and information services worldwide, and to
provide Latin Americanists around the world with access to information on
and from Latin
America. 

We want to expand the listings in the sciences.  Can you suggest on-line
databases to be added to the directory?  We are very interested to hear
what you are using in your field of expertise. Helpful information would be
the name of the database, the host name, and the type of access.  

If you have direct access to the Internet, we'd like to invite you to
access UT-LANIC.
To access UT-LANIC if you have a gopher client, please type
        gopher lanic.utexas.edu

If you have to telnet to it, type
        telnet lanic.utexas.edu
        login: lanic

After a moment, you will see UT-LANIC top-level menu.  Following the
instructions on the screen, you can check the information you need.

Features of UT-LANIC are:
- Directory of databases by subject
- Databases automatically accessed through pointers--not dialing
- All subjects covered, but only the most valuable databases in each
- Quick reference and up front evaluation of databases
- Host for Latin American databases
- Public domain (free of charge)

We appreciate your input!

Carolyn Poage Palaima
[email-masked]
Institute of Latin American Studies
University of Texas at Austin