Subject: Colour plates in Journals

From: [email-masked] (Henry Rzepa) (Henry Rzepa)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 09:26:51 +0000

a) We suffered a full /tmp disk recently, and about 40 messages of
mine evaporated! I think that Rainer Stumpe's
posting was one of those!

b) Given that almost all colour images are printed on relatively
inexpensive printers before being sent to journals, I hardly  think
that resolution is the issue here.

c) Size of our images is between 100k and 300k. Actually, even a modem
can handle that if you are a little patient. But the issue surely is whether
networks of the future will be able to handle this. ATM at 34 Mbits/sec
cetainly can, in future Gbyte networks are being mooted. It
may be 5 years before the majority of chemists have access to such
networks, but we should all be including such kit in our current
funding applications to ensure it does happen (or talking to research
directors etc etc). For example, we are getting an ATM card (about $4)
in an Indy workstation, + a slot in an ATM switch (about $7). so
this is not big money! Granted the national network cost about $30
million to set up, but that is also peanuts compared to some scientific
disciplines!!

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked] via Eudora 2.01, Tel:+44  71 225 8339, Fax:+44 71 589 3869.
From June '94: (44) 171 584 5774, Fax: (44) 171 584 5804
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html