Subject: Summary: Male/female ratio of computational chemists

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Feb 94 10:03:00 EDT

Dear netters,

A few days ago I asked if anyone had any hard numbers on the male/female
ratio of computational chemists. Thanks to everyone who responded. I received 
several responses from individuals or small labs, but since the total sample 
was less than 10, I will not summarize these responses. I did get one response 
from CCL about a larger sample which I have appended below.

Additionally, one of my coworkers contacted a source at a
headhunting/consulting firm specializing in the computational chemistry
market and they provided these rough figures from their extensive database:

95/5% M/F in industry
92/8% MF  in industry plus academia
90/10% M/F if BS & MS personnel are included.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded.
Bill Laidig

--- Summary ---------------------------

     I am the secretary for the Computers in Chemistry division of the ACS.
Every year we get a break-down of our division members by sex, education,
primary field, etc.  I don't have the one for 1993 yet, but in 1992, there
were 331 women versus 1757 men, of 2121 members.  These are not all strictly
computational chemists - in fact only 1798 claim to be chemists and only 381
list Computing as their primary field in chemistry - so I'm not sure if this
is information pertinent to your question, but there it is.

-- Kate Holloway

  Merck Research Labs.

--------------------------------------