Subject: comparative experience with OpenGL and AVS for rendering complex 3D images

From: [email-masked] (Toni Kazic)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 16:05:52 CST

Dear Netters,

I am weighing alternative visualization environments for Sun/SGI machines for
rendering large graphs ( <100,000 nodes and arcs) -- in essence a wireframe
with curves and surfaces.  Wireframe alone won't do because of the complexity
of the graph -- even though it's not very big it has a lot of internal
structure.  I would like to hear your experience in ease of programming,
maintenance, and portability; cost and support; integration into interactive
systems; and visual effects (e.g., stereo, transparency, coloring).  If there
are other environments besides OpenGL and AVS, by all means let me hear of
them.

I don't wish to precipitate another discussion on the relative merits of X and
Y ;-), so if people will email me I will summarize for the net.

Many thanks,

Toni Kazic

Institute for Biomedical Computing
Box 8036
Washington University School of Medicine
700 South Euclid Ave.
St. Louis MO  63110
314-362-3121
314-362-0234  (fax)
[email-masked]