Subject: Re: CCL:SESAM or SYBASE

From: [email-masked] (C.S.RAMAN)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 12:38:24 -0600 (CST)

Tom:

> This message is about finding a program called SESAM or SYBASE 
> that I have come across in Proteins:Structure, Function, and 
> Genetics 11:59-76 (1991) by Huysmans, Richelle, and Wodak.

Regarding the distribution of the protein structure database SESAM, you
should contact Shoshana Wodak at the following address:

[email-masked]

This is very similar to the product IDITIS distributed by Oxford
Molecular, but, when I spoke to Soshana last, there was no GUI
implemented.  Things could be different now.

Here is the catch:  SESAM is implemented under the commercial program
RDBM, SYBASE.  In order to run SESAM, you must have a license for this
RDBM.  A run-time version of this RDBM costs $5000.  If you have this
then SESAM is basically free.

Alternatively. SESAM has also been implemented under ORACLE.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
-raman

P.S.  I heard that a free RD oriented protein structure databse will
soon be available from the UK. I will let you know if I hear more about
this.  In addition you might want to check out WHAT IF by Gerrit Vriend
which implements a similar database and only bears a nominal cost for
academia.
-- 
C.S.Raman                                 [email-masked] - Internet
UNIX Programming & Administration         [email-masked] - CIS
SPARC & SGI Systems                       [email-masked] - CHPC
Department of Biochemistry                [email-masked]
UTHSCSA       
7703 Floyd Curl Dr.                       (210) 567-6623   [Tel]
San Antonio, TX 78284-7760                (210) 567-6595   [Fax]
******************************************************************************
         If a man's wit be wandering, let him study the Mathematics
                                                            -Francis Bacon   
******************************************************************************