Subject: SUMMER SCHOOL IN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY. 4-14 SEP. 94, LAREDO (SPAIN)

From: Angel Mananes Perez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 12:23:17 UTC+0100

=============================================================================

=============================================================================

 THE TENTH LAREDO SUMMER COURSES 
 University of Cantabria -- City Council of Laredo 

 SUMMER SCHOOL IN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY 
 SUMMER SCHOOL IN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY 

 4th -- 14th September 1994, LAREDO (Spain) 

=============================================================================

=============================================================================

 Topics and Lecturers: 

 -- "Density Functional Theory of Atomic Clusters"  
    J.A. Alonso , University of Valladolid (Spain).  4 h. 

 -- "Structure and Dynamics of van der Waals Clusters" . 6 h.  
    G.Delgado-Barrio, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas (Spain).

 -- "Chemisorption. Molecules on Surfaces"  
    F. Flores , Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (Spain).   4 h. 

 -- "Quantum Chemistry: The Molecular Orbital Approach"  
    N.C. Handy , University of Cambridge (UK).   8 h. 

 -- "Density Functional Theory of Atoms and Molecules"                  
    N.H. March , University of Oxford (UK).   5 h.  

********************************************************************************

       School Directors: 

       J.A. Alonso , University of Valladolid (Spain)
       P.J. Grout ,  University of Oxford (UK)
       N.H. March ,  University of Oxford (UK)

********************************************************************************

       Further information can be obtained from: 

    The Secretary,    A. Mananes , University of Cantabria (Spain)  
       Address: 
     Departamento de Fisica Moderna
     Facultad de Ciencias
     Avda. Los Castros s/n
     39005 SANTANDER (SPAIN)

       Telephone : 34--42--201454      FAX : 34--42--201402 

       E-MAIL : [email-masked]

********************************************************************************

      The School 

This Summer School is aimed mainly to young graduate Quantum Chemists and 
Physicists engaged in research work at the predoctoral or recent postdoctoral
level. The School is the continuation of the Charles Coulson Summer Schools
in Quantum Chemistry (held in Oxford until 1992) but with more emphasis this 
time on Density Functional Theory and the applications to Microclusters and 
Surfaces. Each course will be supported by a series of problem classes in
which problems will be solved with the help provided by the staff. The written 
notes of the lectures will be given to the participants at the begining of the
School. 

There will be an opportunity for participants to give a short talk about
their current research topic.
 
Participants will be accommodated at   Hotel El Ancla , ten minutes walk 
>from the Cultural Centre   Doctor Velasco  where lectures will take place and
where several seminar rooms are also available. An excursion to  Santillana del
Mar and Puente Viesgo (prehistorical caves) is included in the program. 

      The site 
 
 In the north of Spain, on the shores of the Cantabrian sea, 50 Km from
Santander, one finds the small fishing town of LAREDO. An old town with historic
and artistic links, Laredo is also an important tourist centre with a modern
residential area, a beautiful fishing port, a sailing club, and of course, its 
Salve beach, noted for its large size and safety. In the bay of Laredo, 
windsurfing, sailing and other sports are practiced. During the last ten years, 
Laredo has also been the site of the Summer Courses of the University of
Cantabria.

      Fees 

The total cost, including residence, board and fees is:

  Spanish Ptas. 90.000 (Double room), 150.000 (Single room).  

 However, there are a number of bursaries, of up to Ptas. 20.000,  provided by 
 the Spanish DGICYT and the STRIDE Program (CE).

       Applications 

 Applications should reach the secretary address by 
 
  31st MAY, 1994.  

 At the same address we should be glad to provide further information.

      Related Meetings 

The Tenth European Conference on Dynamics of Molecular Collisions will be held
 at Salamanca (Spain), August, 28--September,2.

********************************************************************************