Subject: Salinity/Conductivity/Density of natural waters

From: Adrian Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 17:21:22 +1100

Dear list,
	To change the subject away from quantum computations-

        Does anyone out there know of any GENERAL equations which will
convert between values for water conductivity, density, and salinity?
I want to get out salinities in particular.  I have a set of equations
which convert conductivities to densities, but the one equation I know
that converts density to salinity only works at 20C and gives erroneous
answers at low salinities.  This equation is -
        Salinity = 1315.7895*density(at 20C) - 1313.4211

        I need an equation that will give accurate salinities in the
range 2ppt to well over 50ppt (up to 300ppt if possible).  It would be
good if the equation was temperature dependent, but it isn't an absolute
requirement.  Depth dependence is not needed.

        An equation for going directly from conductivity to salinity
would also be nice.  I am well aware of the equations for the Practical
Salinity Scale (1978).  These equations have a small problem in that
they only work up to 45ppt.  They also have a BIG PROBLEM in that they
are all given in terms of the conductivity ratios.  As all the data
I've seen is given as absolute conductivities these equations are
useless.

        Thanks in advance,
                                adrian