Subject: CCL-Chem in Ed

From: "Holly G. Hash" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 94 23:28:48 EST

To all of you who responded:

Thank you for your replies to my "plea" for demonstrations. 
Several respondents asked for a synopsis, so, in brief, here 
it is:

1.  Experiments/Demos - Ignition of balloons filled with
hydrogen; ignition of bubbles filled with methane; diet
vs regular colas; density-float test; slime; clock reactions;
chemiluminescence; scenario chem/analysis of "clues"; sodium 
metal in water; dry ice; flash paper; soap-boat races; 
perfume; carbohydrates; cosmetics.

2.  Several computer molecular modeling programs.

3.  Many sources, including ACS, J.of Chem.Ed., B.Shakhashiri,
Beakman, and Mr. Wizard.

As a prime example of cyber-misunderstanding, I failed to 
realize that no person on the list knew that I was being
facetious when I received MANY statements of defense of the
teaching profession.  I was educated to be an analytical 
chemist and worked in the state lab.  I CHOOSE to be a 
teacher, and to the credit of all of the profession's 
defenders, I, too, had teachers that were remarkably positive
influences in my life.

My students have already done each of the experiments/demos
suggested by all of you, and it is gratifying to know that
I picked some of the most memorable ones for my kids!  I
try to have at least one experiment each week (I rarely have
demos as I believe in "hands-on").  I have the B.Shakhashiri
series, but will certainly gather the other written materials
suggested, and will subscribe to the pertinent listserves.
Our school is very advanced, technologically.  ISIS/Base &
ISIS/Draw plus a scanner is on the way, and I can hardly
wait to turn my students loose with that program (and an
organic chemistry book)!

And, yes, I also teach physics to my chem students whenever
I get the opportunity.  (I taught physics & chem until the
chem classes got so large, the administration had to hire a
separate physics teacher.)

Please feel free to suggest any chemistry experiment, no 
matter how trivial you think it might be.  If you remember
it, it made a difference.  Also, physics experiments, too!

The reason for my request on this particular listserve was
to find out which experiment(s) impressed students so much
that they would remember it later in their professional
careers.  I thank each of you, sincerely, for remembering
those exciting moments, those special teachers, and those
spectacular flashes of enlightenment.

For a couple of critics, I would like to point out that I
don't intend to entertain my kids.  I try to create an
exciting atmosphere that encourages learning and independent
thinking skills.  I have students that can practically write
a novel on "Bucky balls", and students that do not know the
purpose of the second hand on a clock, in the same classroom.
These are 16, 17 and 18-year olds.  Not to be cliche, but
these kids are our future.  I take their education very
seriously.  Their home-lives range from "normal" to 
horrendous, to non-existant.  I have kids that have been
raped (both male & female), shot, knifed, beaten, physically
& mentally abused, and molested.  I have 14 female students
that have at least one child (one has 3 at the age of 17).
These are my students.  I love them all and I doubt that they
would continue to care about chemistry class if I just
"entertained" them.  On the other hand, I can't just stand in
front of a podium and lecture them, hand out worksheets and
homework.  They can't "think for themselves" until I give
them enough information to make intelligent choices.  My 
first job (in my opinion - and I could be wrong...I didn't
take all of those education courses) is to teach my kids to
get all of the facts that are available, to always ask why &
how, and to never assume any person is perfectly absolute or
absolutely perfect.  

And, this includes me.

hh

-- 
Holly G. Hash, Inst.
Brunswick Senior High School
Route 1, Box 15
Lawrenceville, VA 23868