Subject: NATO ASI on Metal-ligand interactions, Cetraro Italy, sep. 4 - 16

From: [email-masked] (Salahub Dennis)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 1994 11:24:03 -0500 (EST)

Dear CCL,    
Could you please post the following in your department and bring it to
the attention of your colleagues, particularly in Inorganic, Cluster,
and Surface chemistry.
Thank you,
Dennis Salahub

Please post and/or circulate by e-mail or fax to anyone who might be interested
===============================================================================
METAL-LIGAND INTERACTIONS - STRUCTURE AND REACTIVITY
 
A NATO ADVANCED STUDY INSTITUTE
September 4-16,1994
Grand Hotel San Michele,  Cetraro, Calabria, ITALY
=============================================================================== 
ORGANIZING COMMITTEE                       LOCAL COMMITTEE
Dennis Salahub (Montreal, Canada)          Marirosa Toscano (Cosenza, Italy)
Nino Russo (Cosenza, Italy)                Franca Mele      (Cosenza, Italy)
Julius Jellinek (Boston, USA)              Francesco Neve   (Cosenza, Italy)
Martin Moskovits (Toronto, Canada)         Mauro Ghedini    (Cosenza, Italy)     
Ha-Jo Freund (Bochum, Germany)             Giovanni De Munno (Cosenza, Italy)

				Director
				Nino Russo (Cosenza, Italy)
=============================================================================== 
OBJECTIVES:
 
        The goal of the ASI is to promote interactions amongst theorists and
experimentalists in the several fields which deal with metal-ligand
interactions (inorganic and organometallic chemistry, cluster science, surface
science, catalysis) and to expose young researchers at an early stage of their
career to the several conceptual frameworks that currently contribute to the
area.  The fundamental concern of the ASI will be the nature of the
microscopic interactions between metal atoms (clusters, surfaces) and
ligands (atoms, molecules, adsorbates, reagents, products) and the changes in
these interactions during physical and chemical transformations.
 
TOPICS AND LECTURERS:

Ab Initio Theory:
K. Morokuma (Emory University, USA)
V. Staemmler (University of Bochum, Germany)
 
Density Functional Theory: 
N. Russo (Universita della Calabria, Italy)
D.R. Salahub(Universite de Montreal, Canada)

Semi-empirical Theory:
M. Mingos (Imperial College, UK)
M.C. Zerner (University of Florida, USA) 

Complexes
P. Braunstein (Universty of Strasburg, France)
R.J. Puddephatt (University of Western Ontario, Canada)

Clusters:
P. Armantrout (University of Utah, USA)
P. Hackett (Ottawa, Canada)
M. Moskovits (University of Toronto, Canada) 

Surfaces:
S. Ceyer (MIT, Cambridge, USA)
H.J. Freund (University of Bochum, Germany)

Catalysis:
D.W. Goodman (Texas A& M University, USA) 
G.M. Zhidomirov (Novosibirsk, Russia)
 
SPECIAL RESEARCH SEMINARS AND POSTER SESSIONS:  
	In addition to the lectures, ample time will be reserved
for a series of special research seminars (45+15 minutes talk), poster sessions,
round tables, computer simulations, tutorials and informal discussions.
 
GENERAL INFORMATION
 
        A NATO ASI is an international "summer school".  Lectures are aimed
at the postdoctoral level.  The ASI students may be senior graduate students,
postdoctoral fellows, university faculty members, government or industrial
researchers. Attendance will be limited to about 80 students chosen on the
basis of their interest and contributions to the subject area, the potential
benefit to them and to the ASI from their attendance, and so as to achieve a
balance of nationalities.
 
        Tuition:  There will be no tuition fees for participants from academic
institutions.  Participants from industry will be asked to pay a tuition fee of
$US 300 or, better, to have their companies make a more substantial
contribution to the school (with appropriate recognition in the program and
publication).
 
        Room and Board:  Lodging will be at the Grand Hotel San Michele. With
only a few exceptions, rooms will be  assigned double occupancy.  The cost of
room and full board for the 12 nights is 1 100 000 Italian Lire (about $US 850).
It is hoped that participants' institutions will cover most or all of the living
expenses.  However, the grant from NATO and other support should allow
significant subsidies to those who would otherwise be unable to attend.
 
        Travel support:  There is a possibility of limited travel support for
those who would otherwise be unable to attend.
 
        Site:   The meeting will take place at the Grand Hotel San Michele in
Cetraro, Calabria, a beautiful hotel on the sea with all conveniences, a private
beach, and a well-earned reputation for their meals.  The closest airport is at
Lamezia about an hour's flight south of Rome. A bus service will be
arranged from Lamezia to the ASI site, with stops at Paola for those who
arrive by train (4 hours from Naples; Naples is 2 hours by train from Rome).
Cars may be rented at Lamezia.  Besides the breathtaking beaches, mountains and 
sea-scapes, a short trip may be made to Reggio Calabria(an hour and a half by car) 
and the famous archaeologicalmuseum (the Riaci bronzes are nothing short of magnificent) 
and a short boat ride from there to Sicily or the Aeolian Islands with their active
volcanoes and more superb beaches.
 
APPLICATION:
        There is no special application form.
        Those wishing to attend should send a letter by normal mail or, better,
	by fax or electronic mail.  This should specify:
                i) date and place of birth, together with present nationality
                ii) academic qualifications
                iii) present position and place of work
                iv) a BRIEF statement of ongoing research and publications
		relevant to the theme of the ASI
                v) number of publications and a (1-PAGE MAX.) list of the most
		recent or most important
                vi) students and postdocs should also have sent a brief letter
		from their research director supporting their attendance
                vii) those requesting financial aid should state how much and
		provide a brief justification.
 
THE CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS MAY 30,1994. 
After that date, applications will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
 
Please send one copy of application letters to:
     		 Prof. Nino Russo
		(NATO-ASI Director)
                Dipartimento di Chimica
                Universita della Calabria
                I-87030 Arcavacata di Rende (CS)
                ITALY
		Tel: 39-(0)984 49 21 06
                Fax: 39-(0)984 49 20 44
                E.M.: [email-masked]

-- 
************************************************************
*   Dennis Salahub               [email-masked]  *
*   Departement de chimie        Tel. (514) 343-6755       *
*   Universite de Montreal       Fax  (514) 343-2468       *
*   C.P. 6128, Succ. A                                     *
*   Montreal, Quebec  H3C 3J7                              *
*   Canada                                                 *
************************************************************