Subject: Legal issues about stuff put under Mosaic

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 08:07:45 +0200

Dear Netters,

We have been running a WWW server here for some time in biochemistry,
computational chemistry and mathematics. I have been fascinated by the
possibilities Mosaic has. To make the information setup as complete
and good as possible I have also put up some of my publications. 

The question is now. Do I have the right to make the text and figures
from my publications publicly available through Mosaic? When a manuscript gets 
accepted we usually have to sign the paper where we give the rights to 
publish the manuscript to a publisher. 

Could somebody explain me which rights we are giving away to the publisher? 
Are the publishers very strict about this issue? For me it sounds very
strange if we have agreed to give away the "words" and information in our 
publications. Or are we just prohibited to use the layout and setting in which 
the manuscript gets published in a journal?

I guess some of these questions would have got an answer by reading one of the
agreements I have signed but I wanted to have some discussion about this
issue. In principle (I believe) it is also forbidden in Finland to include 
people's names into services like Mosaic. This should fall under the 
regulations of building data bases containing personal information and
making them publicly available. 

Is there anybody who has been encountering legal problems and issues
connected with these, by all means splended, services like WWW  and
Gopher?

After all this is not of course chemistry but I know there are very many
skilled people out there and I need your opinion. Please answer me 
directly if you think this subject would reach the flame level.

Thank you all for this service.

Regards,

-leif laaksonen

-------------------------------------------------------------------
 Leif Laaksonen                     |
 Center for Scientific Computing    | Phone:      358 0 4572378
 P.O. Box 405                       | Telefax:    358 0 4572302
 FIN-02101 Espoo                    | Voice Mail: 358 486257407
 FINLAND                            | Mail:  [email-masked]
--------URL: http://www.csc.fi/lul/leif/leif.laaksonen.html--------

              New opinions are always suspected, and
              usually opposed, without any other 
              reason but because they are not already
              common.

                                   John Locke
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Arnold)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 11:22:16 +1000

Leif Laaksonen writes

>and good as possible I have also put up some of my publications.

... some stuff deleted

>In principle (I believe) it is also forbidden in Finland to include
>and lots of very pertinent questions re WWW and copyright etc

Since I have recently implemented the Australian Chemical WWW server
(http://apamac.ch.adfa.oz.au), I too am interested in hearing some
comments. For example: What are the ACS or Royal Society of Chemistry
attitudes to Web-available manuscripts etc. What are problems with publicly
available lists of email addresses etc.  How does this impinge on 'mailing
lists' like CCL? I'm considering implementing an OzChem mailing list for
teaching/research/admin  interests of the Australian chemical community.
The advantages of such a list seem obvious to me, but some discussion of
the pitfalls would be extremely helpful!

----
Alan Arnold, Chemistry Department, University College (UNSW)
Australian Defence Force Academy,  CANBERRA  ACT 2601 Australia
voice:+61 6 268 8080  fax:+61 6 268 8002 e-mail: [email-masked]
web: http://apamac.ch.adfa.oz.au/