Subject: Re: CCL:Legal issues about stuff put under Mosaic

From: "Peter Shenkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 11:41:43 -0500

Just a few explicit examples.

First, my most recent signed copyright agreement with a journal publisher
states that the author may make and distribute copies of the work, provided
that the copyright notice remains intact.  Thus this agreement, at least, would
seem to allow electronic publishing via WWW and access via Mosaic.

Second, at a recent meeting here, an art history professor described how a book
of art reproductions is being made available to a class by this means.  In
response to a question from the audience, it turned out that special permission
had been obtained from the publisher to do this, and that distribution is
limited to Columbia.

Third, E. T. Jaynes's has made his most recent book available in TeX form by
anonymous ftp, and there are also links to it, chapter by chapter, in an http
document at SUNY Albany, as I recall.  I brought it over and printed about a
quarter of it, which forms a stack about an inch thick.  It would be much nicer
to have it in the form of a "real" book.  So I'm not so certain that electronic
publishing is going to put the paper publishers out of business.

	-P.