Subject: Call for Papers (please post)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 14:37:00 -0800

Call for Papers    

		     Computer Tools for Molecular Modeling

	  Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences - 28
		       Biotechnology Computing Track
		     Maui, Hawaii, January 3 - 6, 1995

	Co-chairs:   Teri E. Klein,  University of California, San Francisco
		     Mark C. Surles, San Diego Supercomputer Center

The 28th annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-28)
announces a call for papers within the Biotechnology Computing Track on the
topic of Computer Tools for Molecular Modeling.  This minitrack focuses on 
current research in computer algorithms and systems for molecular modeling,
drug design and structural biology.

Computer-assisted molecular modeling is a relatively new and rapidly growing
field of study.  The development and integration of software tools directed at
determining, manipulating, analyzing, and visualizing molecular structures are
crucial to the success of biotechnology disciplines such as computer-aided drug
design.  The field is beginning to yield dramatic results as techniques move
from theoretical research into practical problem-solving in the real world.
This has spurred the development of numerous algorithms and special-purpose
computer systems that cross disciplines including graphics, parallel
processing, machine learning, neural networks, chemistry, molecular biology,
biophysics, combinatorial databases and database design, pattern matching,
user-interface design, and statistical methods.

This minitrack brings computer scientists, computational chemists, and end
users together to discuss novel algorithms and systems useful across these
disciplines. We invite researchers working on one or more of the these areas
to attend this minitrack which will provide a unique forum for
cross-disciplinary collaborations and promises to advance the fields.

Papers are invited that describe the design or effective use of computer tools
in molecular modeling and computational chemistry.  We loosely define "Computer
Tools" as algorithms or systems that assist in the overall tasks of modeling.  
Substantial contributions that are still work in progress will be considered.  
Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:

 * molecular graphics techniques, including graphical user interfaces, surface
	generation and rendering, volume visualization

 * machine learning techniques in computational biology

 * systems for discovery and refinement of drugs, including, collaborative 
	 problem-solving systems, intelligent assistants, systems that 
	 integrate a wide variety of tools

 * design and use of databases in molecular design

 * computer tools for molecular modeling and protein engineering, including
	docking, genetic algorithms, analysis of non-static structures

 * computer tools for studying structure-activity relationships and homology 

 * methods for assessing the quality of model protein structures

 * novel algorithms for bioinformatics and sequence alignment

The twenty-eighth annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences
(HICSS) includes a full three day conference track on Biotechnology.  
The Biotechnology Computing Track provides a forum for the interchange of 
ideas, research results, and system building activities in all areas of 
computation related to biology.  It includes presentations of original 
research, tutorials, advanced seminars and a distinguished guest lecture.  
The conference is sponsored by the University of Hawaii in cooperation with 
the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), the IEEE Computer Society, and 
the Pacific Research Institute for Information Systems and Management (PRIISM).

HICSS provides an environment which promotes the interchanging of ideas among
its 800-1000 attendees.  One day of tutorials precede three days of concurrent
talks in these four tracks:  Architecture, Information Systems, Software
Technology, and Biotechnology Computing.  The Biotechnology Track will contain
five minitracks covering the following areas:

  Computational Biology and Parallel Computing 
  Computer Tools for Molecular Modeling 
  Project-Oriented Databases and Knowledge Bases in Genome Research
  Protein Structure Prediction 
  Stochastic Models and Grammars in Bioinformatics 

INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUTHORS

Manuscripts should be 22-26 typewritten, double-spaced pages in 10 or 12
point type. Please do not send submissions significantly longer or shorter.
Papers must not have been previously presented or published, nor currently
submitted for journal publication.  Once accepted to the conference, a paper
may be submitted for journal publication. Each manuscript will be refereed
by five reviewers.  Manuscripts should include a title page that identifies
the title of the paper, the full name(s) of the author(s), affiliation(s),
complete mailing and electronic address(es), telephone number(s) and a 300
word abstract of the paper.

  Due dates
--------------
April  30, 1994		An optional (encouraged) 300-word abstract
May    17, 1994		Feedback to the author concerning the abstract
June    7, 1994		Six copies of the manuscript
August 31, 1994		Notification of accepted papers
October 1, 1994		Accepted camera ready manuscripts

Please send submissions and questions regarding this minitrack on
Computer Tools for Molecular Modeling to:

Teri E. Klein
University of California, San Francisco
513 Parnassus Avenue, Box 0446
San Francisco, California 94143

(415) 476-0663
(415) 502-1755 (fax)

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

Please send questions regarding the other minitracks in the Biotechnology 
Track to:

Lawrence Hunter  
National Library of Medicine
Building 38A, Mail Stop 54
Bethesda, MD 20894 USA

(301) 496-9300
(301) 496-0673 (fax)

([email-masked])