Subject: CHARMm & CHARMM

From: "Don Gregory" <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Mar 1994 09:04:11 +0000

Subject:                               Time:8:50 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          CHARMm & CHARMM                        Date:3/28/94
On March 27, Ilya Logunov (U.of Illinois) wrote asking about
the latest version of CHARMm.  First the answer to her question,
and then a brief point of clarification.  CHARMm is a product
available from Molecular Simulations, Burlington, Mass.
Western U.S. academic users can call Adam Bernstein at
(617) 229-9800 for pricing and information.
The standard discount to academics is 90% off commercial
list-price.

Just to make sure everyone is clear on the difference,
CHARMm (little m) is the commercial version, sold by MSI.
CHARMM is the academic version distributed by Prof. Karplus'
group at Harvard.
The added capabilities to CHARMm that make it advantageous
are:
larger parameter arrays, allowing a wider range of molecular
     types that can be studied,
"graphical" hooks into Quanta which is available *only* from MSI
homogeneous or heterogenous clustering (distributed processing)
and 12hr/day toll-free customer hot-line support.

Just wanted to make sure that academics knew their options, 
while trying not to sound too much like a sales pitch.  My
apologies if I failed in the latter.

Don Gregory
Manager, Application Science, MSI