Subject: Using SGI's IRIS Explorer in Computational Chemistry

From: [email-masked] (Malcolm Davis)
Date: 30 Mar 1994 11:55:51 -0500

I have been looking at using SGI's IRIS Explorer (IE) for chemistry
visualization and would be interested in hearing from anyone else who
has looked into IE as a visualization tool.

My biggest concern with IE is the standard chemistry data type.  It
seems to have been added as an afterthought without sufficient
consideration to the wide range of uses that computational chemists
might have for such a tool.  I would like to stimulate a discussion
hopefully leading to a new standard data type (whether official or de
facto), but I am not sure of the best forum for such a discussion.
This mailing list is certainly out of the question for such a narrow
interest topic.  The newsgroup comp.graphics.explorer would seem most
natural and is not flooded with other discussions, but an earlier
message of mine there did not elicit a large response.  So I am open
to suggestions.

I look forward to hearing from you if you are interested in the topic.

Sincerely,
Malcolm Davis

P.S. If a discussion does get started somewhere, I will post
instructions on how to take part.

--
Malcolm E. Davis

USMail: Macromolecular Modeling
        Bristol-Myers Squibb
	P.O.Box 4000
        Princeton, NJ 08543-4000
Email : [email-masked]
Phone : 609-252-4324
FAX   : 609-252-6030
Office: LV H.3812