Subject: Chemical Stereograms and Autostereograms

From: [email-masked] (Henry Rzepa) (Henry Rzepa)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 13:14:11 +0000

As someone who has been a great fan of liquid crystal glasses and
screens for 3D viewing of molecules, I was intrigued at the possibility of
stereo chemical images for deposition on the www and gopher systems.
There exist 3-4 programs for producing these things from standard
(pict, gif etc) image files. I have mounted several which can be accessed
>from our www home page (http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/). No doubt if more
sophisticated tools were to be developed, we could be using this much
more to represent 3D chemistry. I have not seen much (any?)
discussion of this in this forum. Have I missed something or is this
unexplored territory?

PS Stereograms need to be viewed with red/green glasses, autostereograms
need only a slightly addled brain (I have to confess I cannot see the
images I produced at all! Maybe I should go have a drink?)

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked] via Eudora 2.02, Tel:+44  71 225 8339, Fax:+44 71 589 3869.
>From June '94: (44) 171 584 5774, Fax: (44) 171 584 5804
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Teerakiat Kerdcharoen)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 18:17:02 +0200 (DFT)

: 
: As someone who has been a great fan of liquid crystal glasses and
: screens for 3D viewing of molecules, I was intrigued at the possibility of
: stereo chemical images for deposition on the www and gopher systems.
: There exist 3-4 programs for producing these things from standard
: (pict, gif etc) image files. I have mounted several which can be accessed
: from our www home page (http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/). No doubt if more
: sophisticated tools were to be developed, we could be using this much
: more to represent 3D chemistry. I have not seen much (any?)
: discussion of this in this forum. Have I missed something or is this
: unexplored territory?
: 
: PS Stereograms need to be viewed with red/green glasses, autostereograms
: need only a slightly addled brain (I have to confess I cannot see the
: images I produced at all! Maybe I should go have a drink?)

Dear Dr. Henry,
	To see the stereographic, you have to take a look inside the
picture, not at the surface. The plane of the picture is in general 
about 20-30 cm deep inside. There is a trick to help seeing the hidden
picture. Put a glass frame ( not glass for drinking ) on the picture
so that you can see your shadow at the picture. Then, look at your
shadow, the picture will gradually float above and be distinguishable.
After that, you will be able to see it without the glass forever.
							sincerely,
							Teerakiat
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teerakiat Kerdcharoen (NOY)

Institute of General and Inorganic and Theoretical Chemistry
Innrain 52a, A-6020 Innsbruck AUSTRIA
e-mail:  [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked] 
      :  [email-masked], [email-masked] ( Bangkok )
Research :  Molecular Dynamics simulations
         :  Computer Aided Molecular/Material Designs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------