Subject: Sybyl SPL scripts Summary

From: Charles Letner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 12:01:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,
	Obviously I'm not the only person who thinks that a ftp site for
SPL scripts is a good idea.  I've been inundated with responses.  All but
one see a real need for such a site.  The good news is that there is a
site already.  The bad news is that it doesn't contain any scripts yet. 
It is associated with the SYBYL mail exploder.  The address for this site is:
		extreme.chem.rpi.edu
Incoming scripts should go in the "incoming" directory and then will be
made available in the /pub/sybyl directory.
	A number of issues have been brought up by respondents.  Here is a
summary of these issues:

1) Could other utilities that are only usefull to Sybyl users be deposited
at this site?  One respondent has some C programs that does various things
with output from Sybyl that could be contributed.

2) What about acknowledgement for scripts that are used in work that is
published.  Clearly the "programmer" of script that is a major part of an
project that is published should be acknowledged.  But what about a
utility that is only a small part of the project?  Further, what level of
acknowledgement would be required?

3) Then there are the mechanics of site deposition/management.  What kind
of assurances are that a script will work?  Should sample data be include?
 How about descriptions and instructions on a particular script?  Then
there is the issue of a index file of the deposited scripts.

4) Finally, a couple of you where concerned with Tripos' reaction to this
whole thing.  I've already been in contact with them.  They have no
problem with this.

	I'm looking into seeing if there are any formal rules that address
these concerns with the owner of the ftp site.  In particular I'll look
into getting a set of formal rules set up.  Any comments on these issues
above are welcome, but please reply to me.  I'm sure many of the non-sybyl
users on this list could care less about this discussion.  I'll summarize
info on this thread later.
Thanks to all
Chuck 

Charles Letner
Wright State University
Department of Biochemistry
Dayton, OH 45435
e-mail: [email-masked]