Subject: ACS Gopher and Mac - what works and what doesn't

From: Paul A Cahill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 14:54:38 -0600

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request about downloading
supplementary information from the ACS gopher.  With everyone's help
I was able to make it work, but there are some obscure problems!

	As for uncompressing the "Group 4 Fax" scheme, I found that the
Graphic Converter 1.78 program mentioned by at least one person and by
the ACS instructions WORKS GREAT.  BUT, it isn't at the address that
the ACS lists.  Just use archie to find a site for it
	archie -m 10 graphicconverter1.78us.cpt.hqx
will pull up the first 10 locations.  Then I used Stuffit Deluxe to
un-binhex it, and again to un-cpt it.  This program then will run on
a Mac and decompress the ACS tif images.
	Next:  DON'T USE FTP, USE GOPHER to retrieve the images.  Every
file I retrieved with ftp would not open correctly.  But, if I went into
gopher, then used SHIFT-D to download via (I used binary, but it probably
? is necessary) kermit, I received files that Graphic Converter could
read.  Very nice, high resolution.  As good as a microform printer, but
not as good as careful artwork.
	As for other machines, I don't have any experience, but several
people mentioned xv for unix boxes.
	The changes in the ftp sites for the programs listed in the ACS
information seem to be changing faster than the ACS can keep up with.  
OVERALL, the idea works very well, thanks for everyone for their help, and
I hope this makes life simpler for others...

Paul Cahill
[email-masked]
Sandia National Laboratories

Correspondence -- No license required.

P.S.  standard disclaimer regarding not advertising a particular program
applies.