Subject: Conference Announcement: Chemometrics and Spectroscopy

From: [email-masked] (Steve Brown)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 15:31:38 EDT

FINAL ANNOUNCEMENT AND PROGRAM: 

                          Fifth Symposium on
       Computer-Enhanced Analytical Spectroscopy
                            June 14-18, 1994
                Snowbird, Salt Lake City, Utah

GENERAL lNFORMATION

The 5th Symposium on Computer-Enhanced Analytical Spectroscopy 
(CEAS 94) will be held June 14-18, 1994 at Snowbird, near Salt Lake City, 
Utah. The symposium will focus on the combination of computer-assisted 
methodologies and spectroscopy. The four previous symposia were held in 
June 1986, June 1988,  June 1990, and June 1992. Each attracted an 
outstanding group of speakers and participants, and each resulted in a book 
published by Plenum Scientific Publishing Company.

 Purpose. The purpose of this symposium is to bring together experts in 
analytical spectroscopy and chemometrics to exchange information and to 
stimulate discussion and cooperation.

Topics of Interest. Theory and practice of multivariate analysis relevant 
to the field of analytical spectroscopy (IR, MS, NMR, UV-Vis, NIR, etc.) 
including:

 Optimization and exploratory data analysis
 Spectral interpretation and library searching
 Visualization of higher dimensional data and nonlinear mapping
 Cluster and classification analysis of multivariate data
 Numerical extraction of mulicomponent spectra
 Integration of spectral data from different spectroscopic sources
 Optimization and process control involving spectroscopic methods
 Numerical modeling of spectral information
 Automated spectral interpretation, expert systems
 Multicomponent analysis
 Spectral enhancement and deconvolution
 Factor and discriminant analysis

Organizing Committee

Steven D. Brown, Chairman, University of Delaware
Peter C. Jurs, Penn State University
Joel M. Harris, University of Utah

Format. The number of participants is expected to be about 70, The 
symposium will last for three days, starting on Wednesday morning and 
finishing Friday evening. The overall format will be similar to that of 
Gordon Research Conferences with morning and evening sessions with just 
two speakers in each session, leaving ample time for discussions. The 
afternoons will be left free for recreational activities and informal 
discussions. There is still space available for new registrants at present.

Posters. Contributed papers will be accepted as posters. To present a 
poster, fill in the title on the registration form and supply an abstract on a 
separate sheet. We encourage participants to provide demonstrations of their 
software. Posters may be given on software. Commercial software vendors 
should contact the conference chair concerning demonstration of their 
software.

Registration and Meals. The registration and meal package fee for the 
symposium will be US$400. This fee includes all meals for the three days 
(Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, coffee breaks, the symposium banquet (a 
Western BBQ buffet), and a tram excursion to Hidden Peak Summit. Also 
included will be a copy of the Plenum Scientific Publishing Company 
hardbound book containing the symposium proceedings. The fee for 
students, spouses and accompanying persons will be US$330, which 
includes everything listed above except the book. Please fill out the 
registration form as soon as possible and fax it, e-mail it  or mail it 
as soon as possible to: 
 
Dr. Steven D. Brown, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University 
of Delaware, Newark, DE  19716. The fax number is (302) 831-6861, and 
the e-mail address is [email-masked]

Location. The symposium will be held at the Snowbird resort, located high 
in the Wasatch Mountains 15 miles outside of Salt Lake City Utah. The 
lodgings and meeting rooms are located in adjacent buildings. There are 
specialty shops and boutiques, a convenience store, a pharmacy, and a 
package liquor and wine store. The Snowbird Resort also has many 
restaurants, lounges, etc.

Accommodations. Participants will deal directly with Snowbird Central 
Reservations for their accommodations. The conference will use the Lodge 
at Snowbird and The Inn. Amenities include a heated pool, saunas and 
laundry facilities. The discounted group rate for CEAS is $61 per night 
[plus 9-1/4% Utah State tax) for bedrooms accommodating 1-4 persons.  
Larger accommodations are available as well, if needed. Make your own 
reservations with Snowbird Central Reservations by telephoning 1-(800) 
453-3000, or (+1 801) 742-2222 if outside the USA. Reservations can also be 
made by mail to: Snowbird Corporation Central Reservations, Snowbird, 
Utah 84092. A deposit of one night's lodging is required. The Central 
Reservations FAX number is (801) 742-3300. The reservations should be 
made before May 16, 30 days prior to the conference, but it may be possible 
to reserve later, on a space-available basis.

Transportation. Participants are responsible for their own travel 
arrangements to Salt Lake City. Canyon Transportation provides limousine 
service from between the airport and Snowbird. Current cost is $15 per 
person, one-way, based on a 2 person minimum. Reservations can be made 
by telephoning 1-(800) 255-1841, or (+1 801) 255-1841 from outside the 
USA.

                         CEAS-94  Scientific  Program.
************************************************************
Wednesday, June 15th

Morning Session

8:45 -9:00 Welcoming Remarks, Steven Brown

9:00-10:00
New Tools and Directions in Spectrochemical Analysis -1994.  
M. Bonner Denton, Department of Chemistry, University of Arizona, 
Tucson, AZ 85721

10:00-10:15 Discussion
10:15-10:45 Coffee Break

10:45-11:45
Advanced Automation for Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry - New 
Opportunities for Real-Time, Autonomous Analysis.   P.T. 
Palmer, C.M. Wong, J.D. Salmonson, NASA Ames Research Center, 
Moffett Field, CA 94035, R.A. Yost, T.P. Griffin, Department of 
Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, and N.A. Yates, 
Department of Chemistry, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 
22901.  	

11:45-12:00 Discussion

Evening Session

7:00-8:00
Detection of Single Fluorescent Molecules in Flowing Sample 
Streams.  Peter M. Goodwin, Ming Wu, W. Patrick Ambrose, and 
Richard A. Keller, Chemical Science and Technology Division, Los Alamos 
National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545 

8:00-8:15 Discussion
8:15-8:30 Break

8:30-9:30  
Analysis of Time-Resolved Raman Data to Resolve Component 
Spectra from Photoinitiated Reactions.  J. C. Fister and J. M. 
Harris, Department of Chemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT  
84112. 
 
9:30-9:45  Discussion

Thursday,  June 16th

Morning Session

9:00-10:00
Computer-Controlled Step-Scanning FT-lR Spectrometer for 
the Investigation Of Modulated Processes.  Peter R. Griffiths and 
Christopher J. Manning, Department of Chemistry, University of Idaho, 
Moscow, ID 83844-2343.

10:00-10:15 Discussion
10:15-10:45 Coffee Break

10:45-11:45
Parallel Digital Filters for Ordered Spectral Data Sets.  Peter D. 
Wentzell, Trace Analysis Research Centre, Department of Chemistry, 
Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada  B3H 4J3

11:45-12:00 Discussion

Evening Session

7:00-8:00
Multivariate Standardization of Process Analytical 
Instrumentation.  Bruce R. Kowalski, Department of Chemistry BG-10, 
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195.

8:00-8:15 Discussion
8:15-8:30 Break

8:30-9:45  
Poster Session

Friday, June 17th

Morning Session

9:00-10:00
A Method for Extracting Patterns from Pyrolysis Mass 
Spectra. Michael L. Mavrovouniotis, Department of Chemical 
Engineering, Technological Institute, 2145 Sheridan Road, Northwestern 
University, Evanston, IL 60208-3120,  Alice M. Harper and Agustin I. 
Ifarraguerri, Edgewood Research, Development, and Engineering Center 
Chemical and Biological Defense Command, SCBRD-RTM, Aberdeen 
Proving Ground, MD 21010-5423.

10:00-10:15 Discussion
10:15-10:45 Coffee Break

10:45-11:45
Applications of Multivariate Analysis of Pyrolysis Mass 
Spectrometric Data to Medical Microbiology.  Roger Freeman and 
Penny R.Sisson, Regional Public Health Laboratory, General Hospital, 
Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6BE, UK.

11:45-12:00 Discussion

Evening Session
7:00-8:00
Some Remarks on the Training and Application of Artificial 
Neural Networks in Calibration and Classification. Thomas B. 
Blank and Steven D. Brown, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, 
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716.

8:00-8:15 Discussion
************************************************************
Contributed  Posters.

The Conference organizers will continue to accept contributed posters for 
the 1994 conference until May 15th. Those wishing to present a contributed 
poster at the CEAS-94 conference  should follow the format used on 
standard American Chemical  Society abstract forms.  

	All correspondence should go to Prof. Steven Brown, 
the 1994 
Conference Chair,  at:

Professor Steven D. Brown
University of Delaware
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Newark, Delaware 19716
[email-masked]  (Internet)
(302) 831-6861 (voice)
(302) 831-6861 or 6335 (faxes)

********************** cut here  *****************************
FINAL  REGISTRATION FORM (Complete this ONLY if you have not
pre-registered by sending a form earlier!)

Name: ___________________________________________________
Address: _________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________
Telephone: ________________  E-mail: _________________________
Telefax: __________________

Poster Title (if appropriate): ___________________________________
_________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________

************* REGISTRATION FEES ***********************

Remit payment by check drawn on a US bank to CEAS-94, and 
send to Program Chair by May 15, 1994

                Participant         US$400          _________

                Student              US$330         _________

                 Spouse             US$330          _________

               TOTAL ENCLOSED                       _________