Subject: About symmetry and electronic occupancy

From: [email-masked] (Mok Kam Wah)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 94 1:43:28 WST

Dear Netters,

     Suppose for a diatomic molecules with three unpair electrons in s,p
and d (s=sigma, p=pi, d=delta ) molecular orbital with two electron
up-spin and one down-spin. The 2-PI and 2-DELTA states can arise from
these electron occunpancy, if I know which orbital the down-spin
electron in, can I tell whether it is a 2-PI or 2-DELTA state. 
For example
s p d (orbitals)   (u: up-spin, d:down-spin)
u u d   =>  2-PI?
d u u   =>  2-DELTA?

What is the electronic configuration for 2-PI for such case?

Thanks for any information!!

K.W.
-- 
K.W.Mok
E-Mail: [email-masked]                                Tel:(852)-859-8909
Dept. of Chem., University of Hong Kong.                     FAX:(852)-857-1586