Subject: Software for Review

From: "STEPHEN R. HELLER" <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Apr 94 09:24:00 EDT

22 April, 1994

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.  I now have some packages  in
hand (see below) and I am looking for people who are willing to
review the software.  In return for the review you get to keep
the software.  The review should be completed in 1-2 months.  The
length of the review is 4-10 double spaced typed pages.  Sample
reviews can be found in most of the recent issues of JCICS.

     If you want to review a particular package please try to
give me some (short) reason to choose you over another person. DO
NOT SAY YOU WILL REVIEW ANYTHING I HAVE AVAILABLE. Messages with
such replies are trashed!

     I have tried this approach for about the past three years
and it is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who
haven't finished your reviews of software sent months and months
ago, this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I
am continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I reserve the right to abandon this if
it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify people if I
have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within 1-3 days
I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

     As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message,
please do not respond after 25 April, 1994 (Monday), as I am sure
the software will be gone by then.

     I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked]).

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS, PHONE, and FAX
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)  Without
this information I WILL NOT consider your request.

     Steve Heller

The packages I now have are:

1. ChemNameStru, version 1.2  for the IBM/PC (and runs under
Windows).  This is a chemical structure drawing program.  The
NameXpert module converts names to structures.

2. CHEMFORM, an IBM/PC (Windows) program to draw chemical
structures.

3. BioAlmanac, a CD-ROM reference library containing biochemical
information on proteins.  It includes the NCBI GenBank, PIR, and
SwissProt databases.  It is an IBM/PC (Windows) based system. 
You need a CD-ROM reader to use this product!

4. Borland Office for Windows.  Consists of Wordperfect 6.0,
Quattro Pro, and Paradox.

5. ChemWindow 3.0 with the 13-CNMR module, from Softshell.

6. Chemistosh 3.3 (Mac) with the 13-CNMR module, from Softshell.