Subject: Can Insight run strictly in X?

From: [email-masked] (Marty Gallagher)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 1994 18:39:54 -0400

Recently, people were asking about X-windows emulators on PC's.

>Hello:
>	You need a Xserver to do this, try to find on the net a demo
>called Xappeal for DOS. If you're running MS-Windows you can try another
>demo, Xwin. 
>
>Pedro

I am running Xwin and am very happy with it.  Here, we use both Tripos' 
Sybyl as well as biosym's Insight on SGI indigos.  Sybyl runs fine with 
Xwin.  Apparently, it can detect that the terminal is strictly an X-windows 
emulator and then adjusts the display parameters appropriately.  Insight 
must use a mixture of X / GL graphics as the default and this blows up when 
you try to access it with Xwin beacuse it cannot handle GL.  Does anyone 
know how to get insight to run with strictly in X so it can be run on X 
terminals such as Xwin?  

Thanks,

Marty
(I'll summarize & post if there's interest)

=========================================================================
Martin J. Gallagher             phone:  (617) 432-1720
Dept. of Neurobiology           fax:    (617) 734-7557
Harvard Medical School          E-mail: [email-masked]
220 Longwood Ave
Boston, MA  02115

===========================================================================