Subject: Global talks, presentations and posters forum

From: [email-masked] (Henry Rzepa) (Henry Rzepa)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 11:39:23 +0100

How many times have you gone to a conference with parallel sessions,
and wanted to be in two places at once? Or missed a speaker for one
reason or another? If your presentation can be mounted on a WWW
server, why not offer the URL of the talk to a global talks page,
and then we can all share the talk!  I have started up a home page for
this;

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/talks/

This will introduce the concept, and show three entries already added.
Registration for the page is via a FORMS entry. Just put entries in all
the fields and you will be added automatically to the list. You will need
a WWW browser which supports forms (Currently e.g. NCSA Mosaic
for X-Windows, V2.4, or WinMosaic 2.0a4. A Mac version is expected
soon).

Please note the following provisos;

1) Entries are not currently tested. Hence make sure you do not mistype
them.
2) To remove an entry, you will have to e-mail me. If I (or others)
find that a particular URL does not respond after a suitable period,
I reserve the right to remove it.
3) I reserve the right to remove "inappropriate" entries. We are expecting
scientifically sound talks which have been/will be presented in public to
an audience at a specified location and date. I am prepared to consider
conference posters, but only if the organisers have given you
permission.
4) Currently there is no attempt to sub divide by subject. If this concept
is successful, we may wish to consider doing this. We may also add
a separate "poster" category.
5) Readers should be aware that no "peer review" mechanism is currently
applied to these talks (other than the fact that they have been or will be
presented in public),. There is no "time-stamping" mechanism. It
is expected that the authors will in fact edit the talks, correct errors etc
if they wish to ensure they do not date.

I am happy to consider other aspects of this forum that I might not have
thought about, and any other general, legal or ethical issues that might
arise!

If you do mail me, please put GLOBAL TALKS in the subject field
so that I can filter these messages out.

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked] via Eudora 2.02, Tel:+44  71 225 8339, Fax:+44 71 589 3869.
>From June '94: (44) 171 584 5774, Fax: (44) 171 584 5804
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html