Subject: USENET News Group ... NO!

From: "R.G.A. Bone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 11:24:39 -0700

Why not start CCL as a USENET NewsGroup ... ?

... because, even in 1994, there are still some of us who cannot access
"USENET" (or, WWW, etc.) and for whom, therefore, a listserver like CCL
is the only lifeline.

Many people in companies are behind so-called "firewalls" in which full
internet-access (except e-mail) is denied.

There are many others in the situation of being in a very _small_ set-up
where the capability to install the appropriate protocols (NNTP servers, 
etc.) does not exist and where the demand is sufficiently low that it is not
thought 'worthwhile'.  In these situations, e-mail and FTP are the _only_
ways.

For those in any of those positions probably the only practical solution
is to go through a 'server' like CRL or Netcom and pay, either on a private
basis (i.e., at home!) or on a stand-alone machine in the lab.

I know that it should be regarded as ironic that scientists/researchers
should have to go to such lengths, but it is not unknown.

Richard Bone