Subject: USENET News Group - NO !!!

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 16:19:07 -0500 (CDT)

Netters-

>	Actually, UseNet news and the mail-list can be intergrated, so people
> who do not have usenet news can still get all the info passed into either
> list.  Many folks have 'digests' where an article is submitted, and will be
> posted via news and listserver.  Some cases, such articles are moderated, and
> in other's they are not.  By doing this sort of scheme, you can reach more
> people.  

No, don't do this !

> Of course, this is a double edge sword, since UseNet news has been
> in the past abused.  (Some mailings have been abused as well, but not as much
> as UseNet, since UseNet is more well known than individual mailing lists.)

The USENET is at the turning point right now and its future is very uncertain.
Those who read newsgroups regularly (especially news.admin.policy, 
news.admin.misc) know the Usenet has recently been very badly abused by law 
firm Cancer & Slime from Phoenix, AZ. These lawyers sent their commercial trash
to over 5000 inappropriate newsgroups and threatened the network connection
provider with lawsuit after their account was revoked. If they win then 
millions of different companies will use it as legal precedent and the whole
Usenet will be "carpet bombed" with commercial advertisements. Of course
the S/N ratio will go down to zero, which effectively destroy the Usenet.
So please, think TWICE before you vote for CCL newsgroup - it will not be
as safe as mailing list.

> At this least, perhaps ccl.net should post an 'ad' once a month, for
> this mailing list, so that everyone who reads that group will know about this
> list.  

No, don't do it (for the same reasons) !!

---
Robert Fraczkiewicz
Dept. of Chemistry                University of Houston
---
"It is also a good rule not to put too much confidence into experimental
results until they have been confirmed by Theory"    Sir Arthur Eddington