Subject: One software package for review

From: "STEPHEN R. HELLER" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 May 94 09:44:00 EDT

3 May, 1994

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.  I now have one package in
hand (see below) and I am looking for someone who is willing to
review the software.  In return for the review you get to keep
the software.  The review should be completed in 1-2 months.  The
length of the review is 4-10 double spaced typed pages.  Sample
reviews can be found in most of the recent issues of JCICS.

     Please try to give me some (short) reason to choose you over
another person. DO NOT SAY YOU WILL REVIEW ANYTHING I HAVE
AVAILABLE. Messages with such replies are trashed!

     I have tried this approach for about the past three years
and it is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who
haven't finished your reviews of software sent months and months
ago, this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I
am continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I reserve the right to abandon this if
it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify people if I
have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within a few
days I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

     As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message,
please do not respond after 4 May, 1994 (Wednesday), as I am sure
the software will be gone by then.

     I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked]).

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS, PHONE, and FAX
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)  Without
this information I WILL NOT consider your request.

     Steve Heller

The package I now have is:

1. SigmaStat for Windows from Jandel Scientific. This is a
statistical package for the PC.