Subject: XMol & Newton's Apple

From: [email-masked] (David C. Doherty)
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 22:36:39 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

XMol and the use of the internet by scientists 
will (may?) be part of a segment of a "Newton's Apple"
show in the fall.  If you are not familiar with it,
Newton's Apple is a PBS (Public Television) show
featuring scientific topics for kids.  

We are putting together an animation of the 
worldwide (anon. ftp) downloads of XMol since it 
was released two years ago.  In case you're interested, 
we estimate that there are 3500-4000 sites using it worldwide.
Among other things, this visualization should make kids aware
of how widespread the net is...

What's this got to do with you?  I'm just trying to make
my work a little easier ;-).  I've found an on-line source
of all US cities and their latitudes and longitudes, but 
foreign cities are rather tedious (and Atlases are heavy)...  

So, I'm requesting that if you live outside of the US, and 
you use XMol, would you please send me the name of your city
(hamlet, outback, etc.) and its geographic location (latitude
and longitude in degrees, minutes, seconds).  Please e-mail 
it to me directly ([email-masked])

If someone knows of an online source of these, that 
would be fine, of course.  I thought about deriving 
this from first principles; immediately resorted to thoughts 
of semi-emp^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H

OK, just to attempt to keep the information content of this 
message somewhat worthy of the bandwidth which will deliver 
it to you:

The XMol WWW home page:

http://www.arc.umn.edu/GVL/Software/xmol/XMol.html

now has a tutorial and a hints section. We will also put
the aforementioned visualization there as an MPEG file 
when it becomes available (so that *your kids* can comprehend
the extent of the net).

much obliged for any help in this matter,

David Doherty
looking to "shrug" my atlas
-- 
David C. Doherty
Minnesota Supercomputer Center
[email-masked]