Subject: Concurrent electronic (www) and journal publishing: A Copyright problem

From: [email-masked] (Henry Rzepa) (Henry Rzepa)
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 18:31:55 +0100

As more and more material associated with papers gets mounted on
ftp, gopher and now www servers, the copyright has become an
interesting issue. We have received some guidance from Butterworth-
Heinemann which I pass on here without comment in the hope that
it may clarify how we may proceed.

We have now inserted the following statement at the top of this paper;

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/jmg/CRG.html

The publisher of J. Mol. Graphics , Butterworth-Heineman have asked the
authors of this paper to clearly indicate the nature of the copyright
associated with this article. They do not object to the paper being mounted
in this form, but have asked that it be removed from the World-Wide-Webb
once the article is published by Butterworth-Heinemann. They have asked
that after this date, a statement to the effect that copyright would now
had been transferred to the publisher as a result of publication of the
paper in the journal, and that any further request for electrocopying and
electrostorage should be referred to the publisher. We are given to
understand that publication will occur in approximately June 1994.

I should emphasise that this is the policy of a particular publisher. Others
may have different policies.

Of course in due course, it will be interesting to see what the relative
readership of the WWW and the printed forms will be (assuming anybody
reads either!)

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked] via Eudora 2.02, Tel:+44  71 225 8339, Fax:+44 71 589 3869.
From June '94: (44) 171 584 5774, Fax: (44) 171 584 5804
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html