Subject: CCL: Computational X-Ray worskshop offered at PSC

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 10:38:40 -0400 (EDT)

COMPUTATIONAL X-RAY CRYSTALLOGRAPHY WORKSHOP 
                    Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center           
                           July 24-27, 1994               

Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) is offering biomedical researchers a
computational X-ray crystallography workshop. The objective of this workshop 
is to introduce participants to the theoretical  and computational analysis 
of X-ray crystallography data of both small  molecules and macromolecules. 
Topics will include:  the theoretical basis for the minimal function,  
simulated annealing, molecular replacement, phasing and density modification.
The programs SnB, based on Shake and Bake, and X-PLOR will be extensively 
discussed.  Hands-on sessions will be emphasized.  Participants will
be able to work on the examples provided during the hands-on sessions,
or on their own experimental data.  
No prior supercomputing experience is necessary.  

Workshop leaders are: Dr. Axel Brunger, Yale University, 
Dr. Herbert Hauptman, Medical Foundation of Buffalo, Inc.  and                                  
Dr. Russ Miller,  State University of New York at Buffalo. 

This workshop is funded by a grant from the Biomedical Research Technology
Program, National Center for Research Resources, National Institutes of 
Health.  Travel, meals and hotel accommodations for academic participants 
are supported by this grant. Enrollment is limited to 20. 
Deadline for applications is: May 24, 1994.  

			PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER

			     BIOMEDICAL  INITIATIVE 
		       COMPUTATIONAL X-RAY CRYSTALLOGRAPHY
				July 24-27, 1994

				APPLICATION  

Name:________________________________________________________________________ 
 
Affiliation:_________________________________________________________________

Address:_____________________________________________________________________
                                  (Business) 
_____________________________________________________________________________
                  
____________________________________________________________________________
                                    (Home)                  
____________________________________________________________________________ 
 
Telephone:  ____________________              ______________________ 
                (Business)                            (Home) 
 
*Social Security Number:  _______-_____-_______    Citizenship: ____________

Electronic Mail Address:____________________________________________________ 

Status: ___Graduate  ___Post-doctoral Fellow  ___Faculty  ___Other (specify) 
 
Please indicate specifically any special housing, transportation or dietary 
arrangements you will need:  _______________________________________________
 
How did you learn about this workshop? _____________________________________

REQUIREMENTS: 

Applicants must submit a completed application form and a cover letter. The 
letter should describe, in one or two paragraphs, your current research and  
how participating in the workshop will enhance this research.  Please 
include a brief statement describing your level of experience with computers. 
Faculty members, staff and post-docs should provide a curriculum vita. 
Graduate students must have a letter of recommendation from a faculty member.  
 
Please return all application materials by MAY 24, 1994 to:

          Biomedical Workshop Applications Committee 
          Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center 
          4400 Fifth Avenue 
          Pittsburgh, PA 15213 
 
Direct inquiries to: Nancy Blankenstein, 412/268-4960,  or send electronic 
mail to [email-masked] (internet)

*Disclosure of Social Security Number is voluntary.

PSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, 
creed, national or ethnic origin, or handicap.